Chicks and Grit Question

DenverBird

Songster
9 Years
Dec 8, 2010
West Denver Burbs
My chicks are feeding on a mix of regular chick starter (Manna Pro medicated) and a grain grower mix from the local organic "co op." I noticed some wheat berries in the grain that I don't like the size of.

If I give the little fuzzies some fine grit will they be able to digest the wheat berries? Is there an age that's too young to give them grit?

I've got some coarse filter sand that seems like it would be just the right size.

Thanks!

-DB

If they are eating anything other than starter, they need grit. Well, maybe not yogurt, but grain certainly.

I give mine sand as grit about the second or third day after they are in the brooder. As soon as I am comfortable they know what their food is, they get grit. Not a huge amount they can overdose on but enough to get their system working the way nature intended. Coarse sand works great.

I don't know what you mean by "all purpose sand". You want to avoid the fine play sand or sugar sand. It is so fine and smooth it won't do any good but will run right through their system. You need to find coarse, rough sand, the kind with larger irregular shapes grains. Construction sand works well.

I don't know what size is the largest that chicks can handle. Adults use anything from coarse sand up to pea-sized gravel for grit.

Back
Top Bottom