Chicks and grit?

Redhead Hen

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Rising Sun, Maryland
I posted this under the feeding topic too, but maybe someone here has ideas/answers.

I have 6 chicks that are about 2 weeks old. They are on the chick starter and was wondering about treats and grit.

What kind of treats could they get? My 3 yr old gave them a worm over the weekend and they loved it! They did not like yogurt at all. What else can I give them?

Also, if I am giving them a treat, say once a day, do they need grit? If I get grit can I get away with parakeet grit?

Thanks!!

I'm a newbie, but my (now)three week old chicks have been great teachers. I offered them oats when they were about a week and a half and they looked at me like I was nuts. I gave them grit the next day, and they gobbled up the oats (smart girls!!!).I now give them grit every day, and hardboiled egg or oats each day in addition to the chick starter.

I guess I would say offer them the grit, and then let them set their own pace?

They really dont need grit or treats at that age. But I also dont see the harm in it. They will need grit when they get older anyhow so I say give them some and have fun trying different treats. Try raisins,,I fed mine raisins and they loved them. Try giving them grass too, they like grass.

I agree with purecountrychicken. I only feed chick starter and therefore they do not need grit to digest the feed. I do however hand feed the chick starter as a treat sometimes and they always seem to like it more when I am holding it. Once they go outside they will get the grit they need from the ground. You can save yourself some dough and bond with your chicks at the same time just by hand feeding what they already have.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom