chicks and grit

lilshadow

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Milaca, MN
I get my chicks on Monday, and I am getting ready for them. I was reading that on the 3rd day you should introduce chick grit to their feed. I have grit that I give to my hens and roosters, is this the same or is it something special that you have to give to babies?

Someone with far more knowledge will let you know for sure, but it is my understanding that chick grit is far more ground up. The smaller pieces are specialized for the chicks. The stuff you give to adult birds is larger and unsuitable for chicks. Like I said, someone else will let you know for sure, but I think that is right.

I think chick grit is finer then grit for adults. I also think its smaller but not entirely sure as they dont get it till they are older

Last edited by a moderator:
If your feeding commercial starter, you don't have to give grit. Everything they need is in there. I've read on here that if you give treats, such as yogurt, you need to give additional grit, but I'm not sure about that.

I do give mashed boiled yolks with my first feedings and I know I don't have to have additional grit for that.

When grit is eaten by a chick-chicken is it passed through their system with the rest of the waste? I am just thinking when putting mine out this summer and they eat what they find do I not worry about the grit in the feed? John

If your free ranging you don't have to worry about grit. They will pick up what they need naturally, but if you keep then penned then you have to provide grit.

How much and How often do I give my chicks grit?

They are 6 days old today. I'm using an organic starter that came with a bag of grit but no instructions or suggestions

The chick starter is digestible without giving grit. Grit stays in the gizzard and gives the grains, insects and other harder foods something to grind against. Some gets carried out through the intestines, but the chickens just eat more as needed (or pick up little rocks when they are free-range). I don't think you'd need to give grit with yogurt, it doensn't need grinding.

Back
Top Bottom