chicks and layers...how to feed both together?

sunket77

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Texas Hill Country!
does anyone know a good way to feed chicks (still on starter) and layers together? I have a couple of mixed flocks that chicks that still need chick feed and layers who need layer feed and they are together. Should I just put out a feeder of one of each and let them decide? how does that work exactly? I know I am not the only one with young ones and older ones together!

Switch over to Flock Raiser or other all purpose chicken feed. Do not put out the layer feed - the chicks will get it, and the calcium in it is very bad for them (later health problems if they get it too soon). Put crushed oyster shell out, free choice. I put it in an empty tuna can, nailed to the inside wall of the coop. If the chicks are 8 weeks old or older, the all purpose chicken feed will be fine for them.

That way, you are not feeding more than one type of feed.

I went to a game bird feed mixed with flock raiser to up the protein for my girls due to free ranging and just put out crushed egg shells for the older girls seems to be working very hard shells and the babies are doing good.

Quote:
That's exactly what I use, gryeyes. Even the oyster shell in the empty can nailed to the inside wall.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom