Chicks and outdoor temps?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by victor1800, Oct 21, 2011.

1. victor1800

victor1800 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    We have 15 two week old barred rock chicks and were wondering at what age we could put them out in our barn with a light? I was thinking at about 4 weeks which would put them out in mid november. Does anybody think it is to early or have any thoughts about this ,We live in Connecticut so we can get some cold nights soon.We have them in our heated basement under a brooder lamp.

2. Spud Chicken

Spud Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Idaho
    Personally its up to you. I have 4, five day old chicks out in the garage. The garage is detached from the house and no heat. The chick don't mind being out there. The heat lamp I have for them makes there box nice and cozy.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Our chicks start in the barn, from day 1.

That said, they are boxed in a utility trailer I use as a large brooder box. I use enough lamp wattage to generate a heat spot that is comfortable to them, ie 90F for week one and, of course, down size the wattage as time goes along.

The WHERE of the brooder is relevant. House, basement, garage, shed, barn, etc, it is all about whether the temps are correct in the brooder box. If you can maintain the correct temp? Then, where the box is located simply doesn't matter.

At week six, most chicks have feathered out nicely and need little or no further heating. Best wishes.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    The most common week number is 6 weeks or fully feathered. X2 with Freds post , who could argue?

5. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    HI Victor,
    I'm in Stamford, and have 4 three week old chicks with a little broody who have been outside from the start. Granted mom is on them all night, but she's had them up and off the nest from day three - all day long. These are the first broody babies I've had and I'm kind of in awe of them. When I think of how obsessive I am when brooding them in the house, and then to see how well they're growing and keeping up with mom... I could kick myself for not doing it this way sooner. It's pretty chilly today, and they're all out with the flock. Initially mama would gather them under her once in a while during the day to warm them up, but she hasn't even been doing that the last week. She takes them in a little earlier in the day than the rest of the flock, but even the daytime temps are way below what I would ever have considered keeping them at. As long as your chicks have warmth to seek out if needed, I think they'll be fine in the barn.

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

If you can SAFELY rig up two lights where they can get under each and the heat will not be lost too quickly, they can go on out. I use two lights because one may blow during the night and the chicks will still have a heat source.

7. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I live in Idaho, where it is really chilly outside at night low 40's, and we just put our meaties (2 weeks old) outside in a coop with a heat lamp and they are fine.. I have two broody mamas with babies and those babies wonder around pecking for food away from their mama and they are the same age as the meaties.. I say just watch them, you will know if they are too cold by how they act.. I was really nervous about putting the meaties outside and trying to get the temperature just right, but after watching the babies with the mamas I knew they would be fine..If you want to put them in the barn now they should be fine, as long as you keep using the brooder lamp for another few weeks or until fully feathered out..

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:I agree 100%. I actually have used 3 bulbs. Not only to choose the correct heat, by wattage, but also as failsafe. We who brood in bitter cold weather, failsafe backup is a must.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  9. victor1800

victor1800 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Thanks using two lights is good idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by