Chicks and sunlight

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggcited2, Jul 15, 2010.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    When I have put my chicks outside for short periods of time to let them have some outside time, they seem to hate sunshine. I put a cover over the temp pen I put them in, and they will not go into the sunshine. If they do get upset and run over into it, they act as if it is something horrible.

My friend who has chickens said her's did the same thing. And when they would come out of their coop, as soon as they got into sunshine/sunlight; they would fall on the ground, with their necks and heads flat on the ground. (She said it looked as if they had fallen over in a faint). She got 25 chicks and everyone of them would do that.

Is there something about sunlight or sunshine that will affect them until they are used to being outside permanently?

2. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    If they have never seen the sun, it won't take long and they will get used to it. Your friends chicks are sunbathing. It's quite funny to watch them fall over and stretch out like they're dead.

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I Moved ours to the coop at 6 wks. Opened the chicken door to the run early in the morning. There were some cautious peeks but when one made the leep they all went some closed their eyes and let the sun warm them others were swimming and just enjoying the whole experience. I never saw them faint or flatten. They're all Rocks, Barred and Buffs. It was May when I let them out.

4. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    I call it the dead chicken pile cause thats what my girls do when they sunbath. They all look dead. Funniest thing to see!!! Dont worry, your chicks will discover the sun is great and will be doing the same thing!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. My 5 week old chicks spend half the day outside free ranging and half on the screened porch. While on the porch they will seek out the rays of sunshine on the concrete and sunbathe. Little "dead" chicks everywhere!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Looks like a double homicide, doesn't it? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by