Chicks and the day/night cycle

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
After a brooder fire a month ago we immediately switched all of our lamps to the ceramic heat emitters (for reptiles). I had been given one by Darling Farm and was using it for the newly hatched chicks.

The brooder fire was caused by one of the red 250watt bulbs that came apart where the glass inserts into the metal. The hot bulb fell into the plastic brooder and caught it on fire. It was a miracle that the house didn't go up in flames as well but we did lose the two chicks in the brooder.

I have been able to get chicks on a day/night sleep cycle using the ceramic heat emitters. For the first week, I leave a lamp on in the room (60 watt bulb) so they can see, but it's not shining directly on them. This way they can get plenty of food and water for the first week. After they are up and around at the end of first week, I change the lamp bulb to a 15watt bulb so there is just enough light to dimly light the room at night. Around 10:00 p.m. I say goodnight and turn on the 15watt bulb lamp and turn off the 60 watt lamp. They all settle right down into a big silkie pile and do not get up until the next morning. I know this because I have tiptoed in during the night many times to check and they are always sleeping soundly. They do not have brooder parties all night like they did when I used a light bulb for their heat source. They also don't cry uncontrollably
hit.gif
when you turn the light off in the room.

In the morning at 6:00 a.m. I turn on the main lamp and tell them good morning. They jump up, stretch their legs and wings and start running around peeping while I put in fresh water and feed. They play and rest all day and we repeat the cycle that night.

I will tell you that these are the sweetest and quietest chicks I've ever raised. I would never do it any other way now....

Back
Top Bottom