Chicks are attached to each other. But some have to leave.. advice?

All4Eggz

Jesus Loves You🌵
Apr 23, 2021
Massachusetts
Hey everyone.
Hope y'all are having a good day.

A family friend (who formerly owned chickens) asked us to raise some chickens for him, because he couldn't take care of baby chicks, but he also didn't want ones that were already laying. He said he wanted 3 chicks that are not laying, but are not too young either. So he wanted them in the "middle".
So we went to tractor supply, about two months ago, and bought 6 chicks (they have a minimum purchase of 6). 3 of them would be for us, and 3 for him.
We got 2 isa browns (for him), a black sex link (for him), a buff orpington (for us), a silver laced wyandotte (for us, which turned out to be mislabeled and turned out to be a golden laced wyandotte), and a olive egger.

The isa browns, black sex link, buff orpington. and olive egger were all "pullets". The wyandotte was "straight run", and turned out to be a cockerel.

My point is, they are all VERY attached to each other. If I pick one or two up and take them away from everyone, ALL of them start chirping very loudly. and the others follow me so they stick together.
They are their own little flock. They are the third youngest flock out of all our current chickens (we have two batches of chicks with mommas)

We have to give them to our friend (who lives in New Jersey) very shortly. but we're worried what the others will do...
Any advice on how to make this rehoming smoother?

Thanks for any and all responses :)
(Summary below :))

If you don't want to read everything above (:)) I'll summarize
We got 6 chicks from TSC, and we have to give 3 away. They are all attached to each other (they're 2-ish months old), and start chirping loudly when we pick up one or two. They ALWAYS stick together and help each other.
Advice on how to rehome half of them smoothly?

Certainly see what others say because these are my first chicks but I've been thinking about it because I think I will be in the same boat. I have 11 and plan to end up with between 4 and 6 and they are being raised with a wool hen so are more dependent on each other for warmth than most broods would be.

Consider separating them at night. It might be better to wake up to the smaller flock than for them to see you take them away.

Also, I would either stop separating them at all or separate them on a plan so they don't learn that complaining results in getting back together. Maybe different pens beside each other and in sight of each other for good or for a time (pick a time that you can repeat easily). Either way, gradually have them apart for longer or for the same amount of time but further distance. maybe wait until a few times after they stop complaining.. if you have a lot of time to work with.

Certainly see what others say because these are my first chicks but I've been thinking about it because I think I will be in the same boat. I have 11 and plan to end up with between 4 and 6 and they are being raised with a wool hen so are more dependent on each other for warmth than most broods would be.

Consider separating them at night. It might be better to wake up to the smaller flock than for them to see you take them away.

Also, I would either stop separating them at all or separate them on a plan so they don't learn that complaining results in getting back together. Maybe different pens beside each other and in sight of each other for good or for a time (pick a time that you can repeat easily). Either way, gradually have them apart for longer or for the same amount of time but further distance. maybe wait until a few times after they stop complaining.. if you have a lot of time to work with.
Great ideas.
Thanks

I just did that a couple of weeks ago. Friend gave me eggs, wanted me to hatch them and raise them beyond the vulnerable stage, then she'd take them back. I also hatched some for myself at the same time, and they all grew up together as friends. They were only 3 weeks old when I rehomed half to my friend's farm, but man oh man did they feel it! My babies cried their little hearts out for a whole WEEK before they started to get over it. They were absolutely miserable! They did nothing but cluster by the brooder door looking out in the direction where their friends disappeared, crying loudly, craning their necks out as if trying to see if they'd come back. I honestly didn't think chickens could get this attached, and could care this much about part of their flock disappearing. Not at this young age anyway. Eventually they got used to their new normal, but they still remember on occasion and have short bursts of alarm cheeps aimed at the door.

I honestly don't know if there's a way to prevent that. I feel like small temporary separations would only prolong the inevitable. They'll still cry, it will just be more spread out. If I had to do it again (which I might - this was my second time doing it with this friend and she might ask me to do it again next year) - I would probably do the same. The bandaid approach. Rip it quick and get it over with. The pain will be sharp, but short-lived (relatively speaking) instead of dragging it out. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom