Chicks are coming in 2-3 days—hope we are ready!

I hear so many mixed opinions I hear cedar is a bit worse from some people, from others its not. But my opinion i think cedar is a bit worse. i personally avoid both.

i use hemp straw. That could be worth researching seeing if that is in your area and available to buy? I use it for adults though, not sure how great it is for babies.
Hmmm, ok. Do you just stick with paper towel in the brooder, then? I will look into hemp straw, thanks!

Hmmm, ok. Do you just stick with paper towel in the brooder, then? I will look into hemp straw, thanks!
If you do that, i would add some more. It will most likely soak threw and get messed up. maybe puppy pads underneath would be okay. or extra paper towels for thickness, cushion and absorbency. I think this is smart to do for the first few days.

Sounds like you are ready. That temp in garage should be ok with heat plate only. You may use heat lamp also for a few hours just to get them warm faster after shipping or stick them under the heat plate after dipping their beaks in feed and water. As far as bedding I would use the paper towels for a few days until they get used to eating their feed you can sprinkle a little feed around feeder on ground to get them eating sooner. Just dip their beaks in water and then their feed to get them knowing what and where it is may have to do this a few times until they get it. Once one starts, they should all start as they are copycats. You can also tap your feeder and waterer with finger like you are pecking it that usually gets them interested also. Only thing about pine shavings is they can sometimes eat smaller pieces and impacting them. that's biggest reason for paper towels first few days after that they should be fine cedar is what you want to stay away from. I use large flake pine shavings. I also recommend giving them a little grit they don't need grit unless they eat something other than their processed chick starter but just in case, they do eat some bedding or get ahold of something else they eat they can process it.

Last edited:
Oh yes. Youll have to train them to drink. Grap them from the back a bit and take a finger on their head and very very gently dip it in the surface of the water, if they dont catch on, do it every now and then, they will catch on. Remember to be gentle while doing so and be firm but not to firm. Quickly let off so they can swallow it, just do it once, then if they dont catch on then do it again! Quick learners. You shouldnt have to do it multiple times to be honest, mine caught on the first time and most copied the others.

Sounds like you are ready. That temp in garage should be ok with heat plate only. You may use heat lamp also for a few hours just to get them warm faster after shipping or stick them under the heat plate after dipping their beaks in feed and water. As far as bedding I would use the paper towels for a few days until they get used to eating their feed you can sprinkle a little feed around feeder on ground to get them eating sooner. Just dip their beaks in water and then their feed to get them knowing what and where it is may have to do this a few times until they get it. Once one starts, they should all start as they are copycats. You can also tap your feeder and waterer with finger like you are pecking it that usually gets them interested also. Only thing about pine shavings is they can sometimes eat smaller pieces and impacting them. that's biggest reason for paper towels first few days after that they should be fine cedar is what you want to stay away from. I use large flake pine shavings. I also recommend giving them a little grit they don't need grit unless they eat something other than their processed chick starter but just in case, they do eat some bedding or get ahold of something else they aren't supposed to eat they can process it.
Thank you! That sounds like my plan with beak dipping and paper towels the first days. I’ll stop by tracto supply for larger pine shavings and grit. Should I get the nutri drench, too, or is it redundant? I have unmedicated crumbles (lost my trust in medicine!)

Oh, I also have a big bag of soldier fly larvae. Maybe I should get a scoop till I get used to touching it!🤣

Thank you! That sounds like my plan with beak dipping and paper towels the first days. I’ll stop by tracto supply for larger pine shavings and grit. Should I get the nutri drench, too, or is it redundant? I have unmedicated crumbles (lost my trust in medicine!)

Oh, I also have a big bag of soldier fly larvae. Maybe I should get a scoop till I get used to touching it!🤣
If you want, you can get nutri-drench it does work faster but you should be ok with hydro hen. (Chick grit) there are different size grit. I don't feed anything but their chick starter for first few weeks. Especially not before introduced to chick grit. I don't use medicated feed either. These things are not etched in stone just what has worked for me.

Oh yes. I have one i use for the mealies. Just a warning: if the chicks just hatched (When you pick them up) be gentle and avoid touching them a ton, and also, they wont eat *if they just hatched* because their absorbing their egg From when they hatched. pictures will be needed ;) for, cuteness inspection

Back
Top Bottom