Chicks are coming in 2-3 days—hope we are ready!

It is funny, over the winter, I have had about 4 different batches of chicks. Some groups were friendlier, some were shy. But they were shy as a whole group. I do notice the groups of chicks with a lot of rooster chicks are less shy. I probably played with the braver group more, that made them even braver.

Congrats on your new babies!! Barred Rocks are the BEST in my opinion. I think as others have mentioned the brooder will be great for you to get accustomed to your new little ones for a few days, I think by the first week mine already figured how to jump out and get lost in the kitchen peeping at 3 am! I like paper towels for the first week as it makes it easier for them to see food and the paper towels support their legs unlike newspaper. After a week or two I switch over to shavings and after a few weeks of that I am wishing them out of the house due to the dust! Enjoy your time with them, take lots of pictures and videos as they grow fast and their antics are hysterical!!
I agree. First few days is good papertowels, then swap to some good bedding material!

Thank you. im set up in the garage currently—temp in there is holding steady around 60. The weather forecast looks like we will be mainly in the 60 deg range for the next week, but it’s still dipping into the 20s at night. I could run electricity out there, but I don’t think I’d sleep a wink!
If it's too nervewracking to brood them completely in the coop, you could also plan on moving them out there around 3-4 weeks (with some heat) as they'll be hardier by that point and will also need double the amount of space.

Just as a general reference, each chick should have (roughly) at least 1 sq ft of floor space by 4 weeks, 2 sq ft by 8 weeks. I find that to be too little myself, having seen 2-week-olds bouncing off the walls even with 2 sq ft each, so while it's fine to be more cautious at the start to ensure chicks don't wander too far from heat and food, you will need more than that minimal brooder space sooner than you realize.

:lauOh my gosh thats so cute and sweet! I love how shes going off faces and the last one probably looks identical so size works just as well:confused:
I am not that great at telling faces apart so she took to quizzing me on who was who. When I'd get it wrong, "No mom, can't you tell that's a serious face?" Love that girl.

Then there's me, that one is more yellow and darker, that one has more crazy feathers on her but, and that one has a thicker fluffier butt. This worked great until they started molting and all looked terrible :lol:

I am not that great at telling faces apart so she took to quizzing me on who was who. When I'd get it wrong, "No mom, can't you tell that's a serious face?" Love that girl.

Then there's me, that one is more yellow and darker, that one has more crazy feathers on her but, and that one has a thicker fluffier butt. This worked great until they started molting and all looked terrible :lol:
Oh my gosh! Shes adorable :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom