*CHICKS are HERE!!!* Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation

Pics
Quote:
I want a candler like that! I have a mini maglite
hmm.png
But it actually does the job for me since I don't have marans.... But the darker EE eggs and the BR eggs are still tougher to see through. At least, from this thread, I can tell if they are quitters or not.

I candled two rows. Some I couldn't tell others I could see life or at least I thought I did. The blue/green Ameraucana eggs I couldn't see anything. I have one of those flashlights with all the little lights from TSC. It takes a long time to candle alot of eggs and I don't see so well. I've got seven days to go. Nothing smells funny in the incu and I doubt all will hatch as they are shipped eggs.

Last edited:
Well, today is Day 15. As far as I can tell, everything looks great. I've been turning the eggs as often as I can, at least four times a day and the temperature stays constant at 99 degrees. Please tell me about "lockdown" and what is it in detail. I know that I should not open the incubator for the last few days but why? and is there anything else that I can do?

Nancy

Nancy, As I understand it there are two main reasons to not open the incubator for the last three days (days 18-21)
First is that the chicks will need physical energy for the work ahead in breaking out of the egg. Any sort of cooling, even that involved in opening the incubator for even a moment reduced the energy the chicks will have. They are slowly transforming into little creatures that can withstand life outside the egg. A higher demand upon their own bodies to regulate temperature is beginning to kick in. Energy spent on temp regulation is energy not available to hatch. outright chilling prevents the muscles from being able to work efficiently.
Second and even more important is Humidity. This one is tricky because to much is not good and not enough is not good. opening the incubator for any reason causes a drastic and immediate drop in humidity. the moisture loss can cause the membrane in the egg to dry out and in effect shrink wrap the chick preventing them from being able to hatch. Moisture that escapes the egg is not nearly as easy to replace as it was to remove.

Just wanted to add that I've read here on the forum that another reason for "Lockdown" (i.e. not opening the bator at all), is for the buildup of CO2 levels. If I remember correctly, once the CO2 reaches a certain level, it causes a muscle spasm in the chicks neck that causes the "pip" and then later in the legs that results in the eventual hatch. Do a search for "CO2" to find the thread that discusses this. This reason, combined with maintaining temps and humidity, clearly illustrates the reasons not to open the bator during the final days.
Good luck in your hatch!!

Nancy, I found that info on Co2 written by a veterinarian and started a couple of discussions about it. Although Co2 does play a part in the physical actions that take place. I do not necessarily think that opening the incubator plays a huge role. The discussion sort of started out that way but with further thought on the issue I am thinking that confinement in the Egg creates the necessary Co2 needed. Now keep in mind this comes from an extremely scientific source and deals with as close to absolutes as possible. But the chick is considered an Embryo right up until the point it takes it's first breath with it's lungs. that first breath is provided when the chick pips the air cell inside the egg. from that moment on the chick is "Breathing" with lungs and the blood vessel network in the membrane of the egg is no longer needed. The blood in the vessels begins to be drawn back into the body as well as what remains of the yolk in the egg. the blood vessels where also serving the purpose of carry gasses away from the chick as well as supplying oxygen. with their shut down the gases are now being carried out in the chicks breathing and will build up in the egg. of course piping the shell will release some of that Co2 but it is my thinking that the chick is curled up in a confined space and will still breath a considerable amount of it's own Co2 just as you would if you had your head under a blanket. It seems that the role of Co2 may be present regardless of opening or closing of the incubator because it is a result of the chicks physical position.

I do think this could be important to know for anyone trying to hatch an egg with a ruptured air cell. that source of a first breath has been altered. there could be some chance the embryo never takes that first breath with their lungs even though the blood vessel system shuts down. I have an incubator full of detached air cell eggs right now and hopefully will discover more on how to bring them to successful hatch later. I am only at day 5 so far.

Back
Top Bottom