*CHICKS are HERE!!!* Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation

Pics
Just leave them be and candle at day 7 or 10. If you don't have a very powerful light, you might not see any development at day 3 at all. When starting out, less is more, so I don't recommend candling daily like was done in this thread.

i have this home made thing to candle the eggs...a flower pot w/ a piece of cardboard ontop with a small, quarter sized, hole in it. the light bulb is placed in the bottom of the pot.

question...the cardboard get VERY hot...will that bother the eggs?

Today is Day 20 for my Easter Egger hen, whose been sitting on 8 fertile crossbred eggs. I know I shouldn't have, but I did candle (gently) last night, straight out of the nest. Most look on track for hatching on time, but a couple looked more like Day 14 or so. It took me a couple of days in the beginning to think to mark each one with a pencil "x" on the end, so I suppose it's possible these not-ready-looking eggs could have been laid by other hens after she started sitting. There's also a very persistant BLRW who co-sits with her. I have been pulling 1 new egg out of the nest every day (maybe hers?), toss miss BLRW outside to free range, and she eventually comes in and sits back on the nest. To her credit, Mama the EE is pretty small, so maybe BLRW is helping cover the 8 eggs.

My question is, if Mama hatches out the ones that looked ready but there are still other fertile, developing eggs in the nest, should I:

a) Move the whole nest in to my quarantine, with any hatchlings, in hopes that Mama will hatch out the rest in a few more days
b) Move Mama and the hatchlings, and leave BLRW on the nest with the rest of the marked eggs
c) Move Mama and the hatchlings, and pitch the unhatched but still developing) eggs?

(I probably should have moved Mama and the nest earlier, but our temperatures have been fluctuating a lot here and she'll be outside in a partially covered quarantine kennel, so I decided to wait until hatch day - once the major hatch is over.)

Thanks!

Quote:
thanks... three of the lighter colored eggs have webbing so veins...thank goodness. I guess I am doing something right. Next question...I know that self turning three times a day is enough, but if I am up late can I turn them again before I go to bed? The hens I use to hvae turned them all the time...so shouldn't hurt right?

You can turn an extra time if you want, but you don't need to. It won't hurt them as long as you know your bator can get back up to temp and humidity relatively quickly.

30 hours after the first pip, the hatch is now complete! This is about my average time to hatch. I've had some take even longer so there really is no rushing the little guys.
There were 7 fertile eggs that made it to day 3. All 7 hatched on their own without opening the bator between day 18 though post hatch and fluff.

Does this apply to all chicken eggs? I have standard chickens I guess they are called they are pretty big not bantams.

I am just curious mine pipped at 9 Am or rather I noticed them by that time then hatched by 11 PM several were out but the first one came out with the little yolk still attached.
Is there something that would cause them to come out to soon? thats just 14 hours ...
Is it possible that when we reached 106 out side and my house got to hot it could have caused the chicken to over head or even give off more humidity than normal?

Thanks for any info.​

Last edited:
If it gets too hot, it is possible to have chicks hatch too early, thus resulting in un asorbed yolks from a premature hatching. If it is minor, keep the humidity up and it should heal over just fine.

Quote:
I don't have an incubator what is another way to keep humidity up? They were under a broody. But it got so hot she was soaking wet under.
Even after the chicks dried and fluffed out every time they would go under her they would come out soaking wet.
Maybe I should move her to a cooler room we wasn't expecting heat to get up so high we have 2 small window units but when it goes past 101 it gets really hot in here.
It got to the point it was more hot inside than out. I just hope we don't have any more days like that.

Thanks for the input
smile.png

This post is so helpful!
I am trying to incubate my first hatch ever, but I think it has gone wrong
sad.png

I candled the eggs yesterday night and it looks as though the veins and things that used to be in the center of the egg have now moved to the very top (larger end of the egg)??? Have they died? I was hand turning them until two days ago when I put them into an egg turner. Could this be why the veins and little things have moved to the top and not the side? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am totally new at this and am not even sure if all the eggs are fertile! I recently got a new hen and she was living with a rooster so I started collecting the eggs.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom