*CHICKS are HERE!!!* Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation

Pics
My best guess is that they were fertilized, but not viable. New layer, or young rooster, can result in less than perfect conditions for a fertile and viable egg. I'd let your buff orp lay for a month, then collect eggs for hatching. If anything, after a month of laying, egg sizes will be larger (thus containing more nutrients) and that will give new chicks a better start to life.
Thank you for starting this thread! So much valuable information here.

I'd like to jump in if I can and share my experience as a beginner. My buff orp just started laying and I have a chocolate roo, so I thought I'd try incubating for the first time. I candled on day 7 and couldn't see anything. Since I am new and curious to the process, I thought I'd experiment and crack open the eggs to see if they were even fertile. I learned a lesson and that is to wait longer to candle. Turns out they were fertile (I think). Here are the 2 eggs. What do yall think? Were they fertile? I just put 3 more in the incubator and this time will wait longer before dismissing any eggs. Are brown eggs harder to candle? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

From a newbie who will be giving a try at hatching Guinea Fowl eggs soon I am beside myself.
Wow, just what I wanted to know about the candling and more
Very impressive pictures
thank you for posting

No prob for posting the pics. I figured that's the only way for others to understand my situation. I hope you have a good hatch cockatiel. I have 15 wc polish eggs in the incubator and am hoping at least one hatches.

Question: Day 7, maybe not a bright enough flashlight but what I seen looked just like yoke floating around inside the egg!!! Good or not good at all????? HELP husband will be sooo disappointed if they're all a flop.

I should add, a broken yoke, not a round shape. It floated at the top of whatever position it was in. These were chicken eggs. The duck egg we candled you could see veins clearly! :)

Last edited:
By day 7 you should see something, especially if your duck egg was able to be candled and showed veins. Wait till 14 for sure, but if you can see into duck eggs at day 7, you should have easily been able to see veins on day 3 on chicken.

Candled some of my broody East Indie duck eggs they look about day 12! Not sure what we will do with more birds... Build more pens I guess (hehe) :)

I have a question. I candled on day 10 and you can see something floating around inside. Is that the heart? Also, if the other eggs don't show the same movement, should I toss them? Thank you guys.

Back
Top Bottom