*CHICKS are HERE!!!* Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation

Pics
Hi I am new to the forum today, if 8 hybrid hens in the garden, that i bought POL, last year. Just got myself an incubator, I have 6 bantam eggs in variuos breeds. They are day 14 now, i have just candled them and looking at your photo,s 5 out of the 6 are developing ok. So fingers crossed. This is all new to me so any advise woud be gratefully recieved.
Cheers Sam
smile.png

Thank you for posting the fascinating journey of your chicks' hatchings! We just put to Bator our first set of eggs Friday night and thanks to you we know better what to expect. The chicks are just adorable. Lydia =^..^=

Hello, My name is Searcy and I am not sure I am posting in the right area so forgive me if this is wrong.

I recently hatched out three eggs out of ten. (Roo's not doing so good) and one of them had curled up feet! No big deal for they kind of come out of the egg like that.

Well, one of my babes didn't get her toes in order and now three weeks later, she is dragging a leg behing her. It is aweful to look at but I suspect that sihe really doesn't know the difference. She is growing along with the others. I turned the eggs three times a day and I just don't get it. She is deformed in a big way. She is getting along fine but wearing a small hole in her wing that she climbs on.
I know this sounds kind of sick but someone else MUST have gone thru this! She is a English Modern Game bird mixed with our Americauna Roo. She is gorgious but can't really wake without follies and I Daily get the stuff off of her that she has gotten entwined with.

I thought about binding her legs together like they do with children to get the leg to grow right but a few people have told me to "NOT DO THAT" She needs a corrective shoe. ANYONE?
I love her!

Best of luck to all those who are hatching and welcome!

42Chickens, you might be able to get more responses if you put your post in raising baby chicks or emergencies/disease/cures. Sounds like your bird had a genetic defect which is catching up with it. Sometimes curled toes can be caused by varying incubation temperature, but it is often because of genetics. At 3 weeks old, it is probably too late to fix the toes and legs. Usually, to flatten out crooked toes and legs, splints and cardboard shoes are applied in the first few days when they are still soft.

This post is great. I am now on day 12 and so far, every pic of my eggs look exactly like the pics you posted. Even the quitter! lol. Thanks for taking the time to do it for the rest of us. I use a small LED flashlight with 6 bright LED's. It works really well, even on my brown eggs.

To Silkiechicken... this is a great post... thanks for taking the time to share(original post with egg development).

Back
Top Bottom