Chicks are sneezing, no other symptoms

mystprism

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2018
As the title says, my chicks (~5wks) are sneezing. I've noticed this for the past 3 days. They're not breathing hard, no runny noses, no lethargy. Eating and drinking fine. Is this a cause for concern?

how much sneezing? when do they do it? If it’s just a bit, and just when they get wet greens for example, it’s normal, they just got water in their nostrils. If it’s more and any time it’s a problem.

If they are sneezing, they are sick. Chickens don't "sneeze" like you or I do, they only do that when sick. You can treat their water with antibiotics, completely clean out the area that they are in. Disinfect everything. Wash hands religiously. Keep them separated from any other fowl. How many chicks? I would treat them all. Cannot be used for food for a number of weeks after antibiotics - I can't remember how long.

If they are sneezing, they are sick. Chickens don't "sneeze" like you or I do, they only do that when sick. You can treat their water with antibiotics, completely clean out the area that they are in. Disinfect everything. Wash hands religiously. Keep them separated from any other fowl. How many chicks? I would treat them all. Cannot be used for food for a number of weeks after antibiotics - I can't remember how long.
You are mistaken, chickens do sneeze like you and me. It depends on the situation - they might just have a tickle or they might be sick. More info is needed...

You are mistaken, chickens do sneeze like you and me. It depends on the situation - they might just have a tickle or they might be sick. More info is needed...

With all due respect I absolutely disagree. If you have a group of chickens and they are all sneezing, there is a problem. I have never heard chickens sneezing that were not sick. Perhaps mildly sick, but still sick.

If you go to a large hatchery, or to a large local breeder, they will view sneezing with dread, if one is sneezing, more will sneeze. Nobody wants a sneezing chicken.

Lol this is getting comical or maybe it's just me and it's too late at night.

Ok, my chickens sneeze on occasion when something irritates their nostrils. As I said, wet greens will get me a sneeze here and there from them. They have done this for years and no one is sick. They don’t sneeze all day, or at other times, in other situations. I don’t know where you learned that chickens don’t sneeze EVER unless they are gravely ill. I would like to see the source. That said, absolutely, if they are all sneezing and/or all day long you definitely have a problem. That’s why I said we need more information from the OP.

how much sneezing? when do they do it? If it’s just a bit, and just when they get wet greens for example, it’s normal, they just got water in their nostrils. If it’s more and any time it’s a problem.
It's quite a bit, seems like every 5-10 minutes, but I'm thinking it is just environmental. I've been bringing them inside the past few evenings on some scraps of old carpet just to hang out with them and that where I noticed it. I'll watch them outside for a while today and see if they're still doing it out there.

Back
Top Bottom