Chicks are stuck HELP

We did end up helping and I am glad to say that Jessie and Big Bird are doing GREAT. Three more should hatch today (I hope) but we will leave them alone. My mare is ready to pop any minute. Thanks everyone for your awesome support:p
jumpy.gif

I know alot of people say don't help and sometimes it is for the best but I think there are situations that they do need help. I usually leave them alone if temps and humidity was good, but this hatch my humidity was so messed up because of bad hygrometers. They were so dry and stuck in there shells that if I didn't help them, then they would've NEVER made it out. This was MY FAULT and if the humidity wasn't so messed up, I'm sure they would've been fine. One of mine hatched out on its own yesterday morning and I helped the other 4 today. These four all pipped between 36-48 hours ago. I washed them off and blew dry them and put them back in the bator for a little bit longer. They are all looking good as of right now. If I wouldn't have helped, I would've only had 1 chick. The other 4 died in there shell
sad.png
I agree with mother nature taking its course, but we are artificially incubating and things can go wrong with what we do and don't do. At times, I think they do need help. I still question myself every time this happens and I actually posted the same question yesterday
smile.png
Do what you feel is right. In my opinion, I'm very happy I decided to help them
smile.png

Quote:
Yes, there are times when help may be necessary due to human error or an extreme situation, but please go back and read the op. This was their first hatch and only 8 hours had passed from first pip to panicking about intervening. Like you, I have saved a chick who pipped and then made no progress--after a day and a half of no progress, not just 8 hours! "Helping" after 8 hours might very well mean that you are not giving that chick the extra hours she needs to develop and absorb her yolk, causing fatal bleeding. So to the OP, I am glad everything worked out for you, but for any other newbie hatchers I have to add that 8 hours post-pip is way, way too soon to even think about opening up that bator!!!

Quote:
Yes, there are times when help may be necessary due to human error or an extreme situation, but please go back and read the op. This was their first hatch and only 8 hours had passed from first pip to panicking about intervening. Like you, I have saved a chick who pipped and then made no progress--after a day and a half of no progress, not just 8 hours! "Helping" after 8 hours might very well mean that you are not giving that chick the extra hours she needs to develop and absorb her yolk, causing fatal bleeding. So to the OP, I am glad everything worked out for you, but for any other newbie hatchers I have to add that 8 hours post-pip is way, way too soon to even think about opening up that bator!!!

Yes, your right. I agree 8 hours is too soon. I did read the OP's post and I had also said in mine that I waited 36-48 hours after pip to help. I wasn't suggesting that the OP help at 8 hours. I'm sorry if it came across as that. My apologies and I'm glad your babies are doing ok
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom