Chicks are wary of new feeder...

Chad Oftedal

Songster
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Woodinville, WA
My Coop
My Coop
My cute little chicks that are just over 5 weeks old have grown into feathered piglets. So much so that my initial feeder that I bought doesn't hold enough chick crumble to get through the day.

This afternoon, I swung by and bought a 7lb feeder, and made a platform for it that is a bit larger than the base. The height is just fine for them - it's near the same height as the old feeder.

OK, so I cleaned out all the shavings in the brooder, and laid down new bedding. I then put the new platform in along with the new feeder with feed in it. I then put in a small amount of chick grit and some dried meal worms (they've had them a few times before, just a treat once or twice a week) leading up to the new feeder, and stood back and watched. They're not scared as they're relaxing on the opposite end by the heat plate, but nobody has gotten too close to the new setup. I've read that chickens don't embrace change right away, and I'm not too worried as they emptied the smaller feeder today and got plenty to drink. Their water is down by the new feeder, and right now I'm waiting them out. They have about another two hours before the lights on the timer go off and the room goes totally dark.

Should I just let them sort it out over the rest of today, and if we still have issues in the morning, then try something different? They've come about halfway up to it, so they don't have much farther to go. I'm sure the one who earns the medal of valor for defeating the new feed monster will convince the others that it's OK, I'm just wondering how long to let them work it out.

Oh, I also should say I have a camera on the brooder pen, so I can view them from outside the room to watch the progress. That way they don't have me as a distraction in there.

You crack me up! :lau It's going to be a toss up who caves first, you or your chicks. My money would be on you if I had any to bet.

I guarantee you, your chicks will not allow themselves to starve with a big giant feeder full of food they actually recognize in full view and easy reach.

Again, I bet you cave first.

OK, happy to report the new feed monster has been defeated!

Looking back at the video, it was sort of a group attack after numerous scouting reports apparently said it could be overcome. One of the Plymouth Barred Rocks either drew the shortest feather or decided for herself that these dangerous times are when champions are born and stepped up. Either way, her peck and survival quickly convinced the rest of them that they weren't on the dinner menu tonight, and now feeding mayhem has ensued.

@azygous I didn't have to cave this time, but I will admit, I did have a contingency plan worked out in my mind. If it wasn't for fresh pizza out of the oven to distract me, I probably would have moved forward with it!

OK, happy to report the new feed monster has been defeated!

Looking back at the video, it was sort of a group attack after numerous scouting reports apparently said it could be overcome. One of the Plymouth Barred Rocks either drew the shortest feather or decided for herself that these dangerous times are when champions are born and stepped up. Either way, her peck and survival quickly convinced the rest of them that they weren't on the dinner menu tonight, and now feeding mayhem has ensued.

@azygous I didn't have to cave this time, but I will admit, I did have a contingency plan worked out in my mind. If it wasn't for fresh pizza out of the oven to distract me, I probably would have moved forward with it!

Contingency plans are a good thing! The distraction of food that *you* like is even better. Your humor is fabulous.
5 week old chicks are eating machines, monsters, distractions and sometimes dragons (!) not withstanding. Have fun. Once they are out on the grass life gets somewhat easier. When the grasshoppers show up you will be amazed at what a good job you've done, encouraging their fearless approach to food.

Back
Top Bottom