Chicks are wet!!

Leo.76

Songster
Jun 22, 2018
Florida
Hello y'all.
Ok, so my chicks are about 6 hours old, the waterer has some kind of hole in it as the brooder got wet, therefore soaking my chicks. I have the heat lamp on to help keep them warm, but my mother insists on turning it off. What can I do?? It's really late to go outside and change the bedding. My chicks are all cuddling up in a corner, I've put paper towels to help soak up some of the water, but no luck. Tomorrow morning I will run to a feed store to get a new chick waterer.

Hello y'all.
Ok, so my chicks are about 6 hours old, the waterer has some kind of hole in it as the brooder got wet, therefore soaking my chicks. I have the heat lamp on to help keep them warm, but my mother insists on turning it off. What can I do?? It's really late to go outside and change the bedding. My chicks are all cuddling up in a corner, I've put paper towels to help soak up some of the water, but no luck. Tomorrow morning I will run to a feed store to get a new chick waterer.
What is the weather at your place right now??

If you can, I would take a blow dryer and dry them all up! Then, take a small cardboard box and cut small holes in it. Put it over your chicks... it acts as a mother hen, and keeps the chicks warm!

Hope this helps!:thumbsup
Thank you!!
I had to turn off the heat lamp as my dad can't sleep with it on. So, I put the chicks in a small box and covered it with a blanket for the night.

Your dad can't sleep with the heat lamp on? Is it in their room, or is he worried about it setting fire to something?

Your chicks could get respiratory disease from not being warm enough. If you're worried about the heat lamp burning something, get a brooder heating mat. It's fire safe and will keep the chicks warm.

Your dad can't sleep with the heat lamp on? Is it in their room, or is he worried about it setting fire to something?

Your chicks could get respiratory disease from not being warm enough. If you're worried about the heat lamp burning something, get a brooder heating mat. It's fire safe and will keep the chicks warm.
No, it's one of the red heat lamps, but the light is bright enough to keep him awake as he sleeps with the door open.

Oh really? I did not know mats like that exists. I'll definitely look into that. Thank you!!

No, it's one of the red heat lamps, but the light is bright enough to keep him awake as he sleeps with the door open.

Oh really? I did not know mats like that exists. I'll definitely look into that. Thank you!!
That makes sense. Since they're right in your house they should be fine.

Personally I've never used one because I keep my chicks in a heated garage, but I have heard very good reviews about the mats.

Back
Top Bottom