Chicks are wet

Joshmorrow9234

In the Brooder
May 4, 2021
I have 4 ducks and 6 chickens and two turkeys. All about 2 weeks old and every morning i come out to see them all wet. There bedding is also soaked, I'm thinking it's the 4 ducks. Any suggestions?

Ducks do tend to keep a moist environment if they have access to water inside the coop and their poop is more watery. Do you keep water inside the coop overnight? If they have water, they're going to use it and oftentimes make a "fun experience" with it. If everyone is wet, they're possibly getting splashed or there's not enough ventilation. Some materials allow for condensation and depending on your coop material, maybe that's an issue?

My apologies. Edited for clarification. My words didn't convey what I meant

I have 4 ducks and 6 chickens and two turkeys. All about 2 weeks old and every morning i come out to see them all wet. There bedding is also soaked, I'm thinking it's the 4 ducks. Any suggestions?
You can make waterers specifically for ducks to help control the splash and wetness.

@Miss Lydia has a way to keep water messes to a minimum with her ducks deep water. Hopefully she'll be along soon. No matter what I tried, I was unable to keep my ducks environment dry whenever they had access to water 24/7. I find that I need to change or add bedding once or twice a day with my ducklings but I'm OK with that. The hard work pays off once they're older and don't need water at all times (overnight). I'm sure there are folks that keep ducks with other poultry, but I couldn't do it or figure out how

Last edited:
I wouldn't brood ducklings and other poultry together unless all are water fowl. As your seeing ducklings make messes and it's not good for the other babies to have wet bedding or soaked themselves. Split the brooder if possible. They all need food and water 24/7 at their ages so you can't take it up over night. Give the chicks and turkeys reg chicken waterers and make for your ducklings a waterer they can not splash around and wet everything. Sit the waterer and feed on top of broiler pan or something similar to catch any water or feed. I put a puppy pee pad over to keep feet safe and catch any wetness. I found a broiler pan at Good will that works perfect.

Attachments

• 8AFFB8E6-980F-4D46-B4BB-0F9C04A19524.jpeg
    8AFFB8E6-980F-4D46-B4BB-0F9C04A19524.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 0
I would brood them separately due to the ducklings being super messy.

I would also recommend housing separately when they are adults as well.
Agreed 100%. I'm sure there are folks that brood them together successfully but in my experience, I just can't see how. I don't like my chicks getting wet and try to keep the ducklings as dry as possible but a ducks going to be a duck. Luckily with an adequate heat source, ducklings do well doing what they do.

My chickens and ducks sleep together in the same coop at night, but once 5- 6 weeks old and out of the brooder I don't leave food and water inside the coop at night or any other time.

Back
Top Bottom