Chicks aren't drying, what to do?

Myron60

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Dunlap, TN
I've got 4 chicks now, 1st at about 3pm yesterday, last at 9am this morning, and they aren't drying up very well. What can I do to help and if I move to the brooder will that be alright. I have a LG with hygrometer, and can't get humidity to level out since the hatch, it keeps fluctuating between 60-95%, trying to keep temp between 99.5 and 101. Help am worried that they will get sick. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

download

The chick above and left was the first to hatch.

download

the other 3 hatched from 2 am to 9am.

I would move them quickly to the brooder and close the incubator back up so that any other possibilities might hatch.

I wouldn't worry about them getting sick. They won't be drying off due to the humidity being high. Provided the brooder is warm enough then they should be fine to get moved. As the brooder will be a much lower humidity they will dry off faster.

Once you have moved them keep an eye on them to make sure they are not getting cold. Signs to look out for are cheeping loudly and huddling together.

It might be best to wait until the rest of your eggs hatch before you move them though.

Thanks yall, I moved them and they are drying great, the temp under the heat lamp is 96 and the bulb is about 18" high.

download

Back
Top Bottom