Chicks arrived from Murray McMurray today. 2 days old!

Kentucky Steve

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 11, 2012

I know fall is not the best of times to raise chicks, my original flock was killed back in March and I wanted to wait until the heat of summer was over before getting more.

The way I figure it, come spring, if all my gals make it, I am going to be knee deep in farm fresh eggs!

Steve

10 RIR Pullets
10 EE Pullets
5 BR Pullets
1 BR Cockerell
1 Surprise chick...

They are soooo small...
Good mix
thumbsup.gif
Don't worry, they grow quick... Way too quick!

10 RIR Pullets
10 EE Pullets
5 BR Pullets
1 BR Cockerell
1 Surprise chick...

They are soooo small...

Congrats! I've gotten chicks in Aug. and Sept., and they did fine by winter. For future reference though, summer chicks are the easiest - because of the heat, you can put them outside so much sooner.

Don't tell my hens fall isn't a good time for babies! I had 3 chicks hatch over this last weekend and just put 7 eggs under a broody barred rock. I think fall is a great time for babies.

Our local Atwoods is flaunting a couple of brooder bins of baby chicks, and, right now, I am convinced fall is a perfect time for babies... lol, if you get my joke there...
lol.png

Whenever I get day old chicks I always have to remind myself that they fit into an egg. I don't know why I am so surprised that they are so small every time.

D'oh! Why didn't I realize that !

Last edited:
Cute! I finally have all of my 2nd batch of "babies" out of the house and am rather glad of that... but chicken math is a terrible affliction and just yesterday I caught myself on Ideals website! No, no no! No more babies... until spring! Yes, ok, I gotta listen to myself LOL.

Back
Top Bottom