Chicks & Broodies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dirty Dozen, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Dirty Dozen

Dirty Dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    has anyone ever tried putting 3 week old silkie chix under a silkie broodie? I've got alot of broodies & figured i could use one instead of having light on 24/7. Anybody try it?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have tried to integrate three week old chicks into a flock of adolescent silkies.

They are very mild mannered. The only one who went up to the babies and was mean was one pullet who had a temper. So it didn't work out.

But the bottom line is, silkies are as mild as they come!! I'd give it a try, but definitely stay around for a couple of hours and see if the chick is rejected. One peck and take the chick out.

Keep in mind that a broody might allow the chick to be under her, but when she sees the chick come out for food, she might peck it. If that happens, remove the chick.

A hen will not peck a chick if she accepts it. Oh and put the chick under the mama when it is dark. Be quiet about it, too. Believe me- I tried once in the daytime to sneak a chick under a broody.

Just a word about risk: if the chick is pecked on the head it might cause wry neck...so you might just do this during the day, after all, to be safe so that you will be around....

Additionally, from what I have read, it is not recommended to give a broody a chick older than three days.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by