chicks bullying / killin

ash10383

Chirping
11 Years
Oct 9, 2012
New Riegel Ohio (NW Ohio)
I have a batch of red rangers that are just 2 weeks old. 4 nights a go I woke up to find 4 dead chicks with 2 of them tore up cause the others were pecking / eating it. since then every morning I find 1 more dead and mulated. I don't believe they were sick as I don't notice any acting funny, its almost like there are a couple bullies that pick on / attack one over night. The first night was the first night I didn't keep their light on as it was 80+ during the day so I thought our garage keep enough heat so I thought they got too cold and smothered a couple but the following nights I had their light on. Thoughts?

I started with 25 chicks in 5x6.5 pen. I mix my own feed, its at about 20% protein right now with a nutra balancer. I've done this same feed recipe in the past (and same pen size) with nothing like this before

Ummm my first thought is a rat or something is living in your brooder area and reaching in and getting what it can. 2 week old birds are not usually aggressive. They will however eat what is made available to them, and half dead chicken is as good as anything else in their mind. They are attracted to the redness (blood, skin, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom