1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks coming next week - brooder question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jhuff8181, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Jhuff8181

Jhuff8181 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2008
    Hi,

I have 16 chicks coming from Ideal next week, 8 Barred Rocks and 8 New Hampshire Reds. My brooder is 3 feet by 5 feet. It seems a little big. I was thinking about using a divider to reduce the size, then remove it as they grow. How much room do they need to begin with?

John

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Here is what I use

[​IMG]

3. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Each chick needs about 1/2 square foot until they are 2 weeks old. You could section part of it off, but remember to make it a little big just in case they send some packing peanuts.

4. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    3 X 5 may seem big now, but by 6~8 weeks it will be wall to wall chickens. We raised 25 in a 4 X 5 and it was too small. We have ten in there now. I have the light (250w) in the center to one side and they can roam the whole thing. This lets them pick the area where the temperature suits them best and I don't have to worry about them getting cooked. The light is also on a thermostat and I'll turn it down as time goes by and they need less heat.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I think you should build a divider, but wait until you get the chicks and see how they react before you put it in. It may seem big, but you don't know about any extras!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by