Chicks coming! What's the procedure?

BarkerChickens

Microbrewing Chickenologist
12 Years
Nov 25, 2007
High Desert, CA
We ordered chicks and they suppose to be in next week.
celebrate.gif
We got our chicks from the feed store in the past, so the shipped chicks is a new thing to us. Are we suppose to call the PO everyday to check if our chicks came in or do they usually call? I am guessing that they do not deliver live animals as if they were normal large packages.

They will call you. The package will be just big enough for the chicks. When you get them home do as you usually do. keep them warm and fed . I dip their beak in their water just in case. They may be very thirsty and hungry,. Congratulations, Hope this helps.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks! That helps a lot! We are good to go when we get them home. I am just getting so anxious to get to that point! They have a nice brooder all set up and ready for them and we are building a new coop (which has turned into a chicken cathedral
ep.gif
) and run for them to love into when they are old enough. Our girls now won't be happy for a while, but they'll get over it!
big_smile.png
DH is just as excited as I am! We feel like kids in a candy store.

I let my PO know a few days ahead, and they took my name and # in case the hatchery forgot to put the phone # on the label, or got it wrong.... they did call when the box arrived....

I agree with Dawn. It's a good idea to contact your post office a day or two in advance to give them a heads up.
Good luck with your new chicks.

I called the post office and let them know that I was expecting the chicks. They will probably call you early am. I got my call at around 5 am.

Exciting times! I received my first mail-order chicks 2 weeks ago and was amazed at how small the box was. They jam the chicks in there.

Back
Top Bottom