Chicks crying at night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rkapfen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. rkapfen

rkapfen Songster

Feb 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    So I have two 6 week old chicks that I still have inside the house in a large brooder. I turned the heat lamp off last night since they’re older and mostly feathered and need to get used to being without it. They didn’t seem to have an issue last night but tonight they have been crying nonstop with no issue to be found. Both are happy and health chicks. I turned the heat lamp on and they stopped. I live in California and the weather is nice outside let alone inside the house, they shouldn’t be cold. Is this normal for them getting used to being in the dark maybe?

2. threekidschicks

threekidschicks In the Brooder

Jan 28, 2019
    Sounds like they need to get used to being in the dark - especially if they've always had a light on before.

3. rkapfen

rkapfen Songster

Feb 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    So do you think I should choose the let them cry it out method and let them get used to it or turn the lamp back on? Lol

4. Chickmamagee

Chickmamagee In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2019
    Paulden, AZ
    Mine are six weeks and have been outside in a run all day for at least a week and I bring them in every night. Tried to leave heat off tonight and they were all crying too. After two hours, I put heat back on and within minutes they were quiet and sleeping. It's 74 in the house and they are close to fully feathered. When can I leave heat off?

5. rkapfen

rkapfen Songster

Feb 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    We’re in the same boat!

6. Norcal527

Norcal527 Songster

Mar 22, 2019
    Sacramento area
    Mine get upset if they're in a bright room and I suddenly turn the light off. If theres a window in the room they're in I'd turn off artificial lights in the afternoon and let them settle in as the light from the window fades. This method has made the difference for me since I'm not using a red heat lamp.

7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    They're crying about it because they're not used to it. Let them cry. At their age they don't need the heat, they're just complaining because it's something new.

8. Chickmamagee

Chickmamagee In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2019
    Paulden, AZ
    I might try this tomorrow. Thank you.

Callender Girl likes this.
  9. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Crowing

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    I very much doubt they are cold. They are just upset by the change and want their usual routine back. I say let them cry it out. They should get used to not having the light in a couple days. Good luck!

10. I always switch to a low watt bulb at the end of brooding. Like a 40 watt or even a 25.
    It does not heat much but gives comforting light. This is also helpful when they get outside and you are having trouble getting them to go into the coop at night.

Turning a bright lighting off abruptly and casting chicks into total darkness would of course be alarming as they are caught unaware and have no warning.
    Nature supplies daylight, evening, sunset then dusk gradually to darkness. Duhhhhh...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: