Chicks developing cold-like symptoms after NC/IB vaccine

soler

Songster
7 Years
May 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
I vaccinated my batch of 3-4 week old chicks last friday for new castle/bronchitis. They were all ok until monday night. I was gone for three days (someone was looking over them) and when i came back tonight a bunch of them were sneezing a bit, and had one runny eye (only one eye runny... not sure if those are where i put in the drops). So they seem to have developed symptoms 5 days after the vaccine.

they are all eating/drinking/otherwise active.

Is this normal? i can't really find a lot of information on this. i gave them vetrx, not sure what else to do.

any thoughts please let me know.

Well, i am not sure if they were just having a couple of days of mild symptoms that were due to go away anyways, so take this with a grain of salt, but i did a little research and decided to give them a drop of colloidal silver each in the eye and nose and 1/2 teaspoon in the chick waterer and they are much better with just the one dose last night.

I am going to repeat the dose today, and probably tomorrow too. I used a type of colloidal silver with small particles (you can't make this type at home, and supposedly it works better... who knows!)

I have used colloidal silver with a cold before (so i had a bottle handy), but to be honest i have never worked out if it really helps or not! that said 2 drops on a 4 week old chick is a much larger dose that the daily teaspoon i took.

Yes, it was a live one. It was the very mild strain, b1, for new castle and infectious bronchitis that you do first, then i am giving them the LaSota strain (stronger) in 4 weeks as a booster and they should be done for that.

The vaccines are only 6 dollars or so, and they seem a good idea since it's hard to tell what they have if they get sick later, so i am doing all the common ones, like infectious laryngotracheitis, fowl pox, mareks, corzya (this one was expensive but i shared it with others) and one more whose name i forgot :)

Sounds too complex for me. If it gives them the disease anyway, seems sort of like defeating the purpose of the vaccination. I hope too many folks don't do this, I really do. Newcastle isn't all that common in the U.S. today, as I understand it.

Really? According to the various chicken books i have read it is common (the exotic strain isn't), and the vaccination is one of the recommended basics. But i am only going off of books not experience! All the chicks are back to fine now. Some had mild symptoms for a couple of days, some didn't.

When you read symptoms for many of these diseases, many are similar, and treating blind is very difficult (plus many are viruses so there is no treatment). Also, by the time a test is done for diagnosis it's probably too late in many cases. So i think prevention is the way to go for me.

I suppose i am also vaccinated for pretty much everything i can be, so that's my way of dealing with stuff!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom