chicks dieing, please help:(

Ab1010

Songster
Jul 27, 2020
I have quite a few chicks that are a few different ages. I'm concerned because all of the sudden the older ones, about 3 weeks old, started dieing.. they are dieing slowly some over the course of a few days. I notice they are sick and separate them and then try to make sure they are getting water. I also have rotated giving them plain water, apple cider vinegar, and probiotics. I have rotated medicated feed with non medicated a couple times when I have ran out. They are kept inside where it is fairly warm all the time. They look lethargic and weak until they collapse and then their feet twitch for awhile and multiple have thrown up clear liquid and a few have had clear liquid and then yellow mucase come from their vent.. any ideas? I've never had problems before..

I have quite a few chicks that are a few different ages. I'm concerned because all of the sudden the older ones, about 3 weeks old, started dieing.. they are dieing slowly some over the course of a few days. I notice they are sick and separate them and then try to make sure they are getting water. I also have rotated giving them plain water, apple cider vinegar, and probiotics. I have rotated medicated feed with non medicated a couple times when I have ran out. They are kept inside where it is fairly warm all the time. They look lethargic and weak until they collapse and then their feet twitch for awhile and multiple have thrown up clear liquid and a few have had clear liquid and then yellow mucase come from their vent.. any ideas? I've never had problems before..
Sounds like some contagious disease. I don't have much experiance with diseases in chickens, but it sounds serious enough to maybe require vet care. Are there any chicken vets in your area?

Not that I know of! I'm worried, I have 60 chicks and I've never seen anything like this with my other flocks. Is there anything else I can do to help them? I swear they were all just running around being crazy three days ago and now they are dropping like Flys!

Not that I know of! I'm worried, I have 60 chicks and I've never seen anything like this with my other flocks. Is there anything else I can do to help them? I swear they were all just running around being crazy three days ago and now they are dropping like Flys!
The only thing I can think of is getting them to a vet or finding somebody else on here who knows more and may be able to figure out what disease they have. From what you're describing it sounds contagious, but maybe it's just a nutritional deficiency or something having to do with teperture? What are you feeding them? How much water are they getting per day? Is it cold or hot where you are? What is their pen like? If the only thing this could be is a disease, try isolating all those who are sick or appear to be getting sick from those that appear healthy, and certainly keep them all away from the rest of your chickens. Maybe try browsing this forum and seeing who usually answers these questions and knows alot about chicken illnesses and tag them? That's something somebody suggested to me once about getting my questions answered. I'm praying for your chicks, and am sad with you over the ones you've already lost :(

Please post some photos of the chicks, their brooder and their poop.
Are you in the US?

60 chicks is a lot of chicks - how big is your brooder and what it the temperatures in the brooder- you should have warm areas and cool areas - give temperature of multiple areas please.
What are you feeding - chick starter - is it fresh, not molded or rancid?

What type of bedding are you using?
Do you provide chick grit for your chicks?

What are the ages of chicks that you have? The oldest ones only are dying? When did you add the new chicks? What is your source of chicks/where did they come from?

It's always a good idea to have testing/necropsy when you have several die in a short period of time. If possible, sending the bodies to your state lab would give you information. https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Well I usually sell the chicks after theyer raised and I'm building a flock for egg laying, and I have meat chickens.. so yeah its alot. I have 6 brooders. So I'm pretty sure its fine. I keep them usually around 85 75 or more since at this point most of them can fly and are pretty feathered. They are using purchased wood shaving bedding. I want to say around 3 to 5 weeks old. I am horrible at keeping track. A few are from wilco, some are from a lady I buy rarer chicks from, and a majority are from McMurray hatchery. My chicks all run around happily eating and drinking and I rarely see them huddle or hear them cry. I have changed all their bedding and their container and have checked to see if they are too hot or cold. I will tell you it was hot enough I was sweating and they were happy.

Please post some photos of the chicks, their brooder and their poop.
Are you in the US?

60 chicks is a lot of chicks - how big is your brooder and what it the temperatures in the brooder- you should have warm areas and cool areas - give temperature of multiple areas please.
What are you feeding - chick starter - is it fresh, not molded or rancid?

What type of bedding are you using?
Do you provide chick grit for your chicks?

What are the ages of chicks that you have? The oldest ones only are dying? When did you add the new chicks? What is your source of chicks/where did they come from?

It's always a good idea to have testing/necropsy when you have several die in a short period of time. If possible, sending the bodies to your state lab would give you information. https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
I reached out to my state lab! Im waiting to hear back. I have given them all corid today just in case. I am keeping five separate flocks currently. My main fully grown flock, who are extra healthy and never had a problem. My feathered but still young pullets who live in a chicken tractor are doing fine as far as I can tell. my silkies who live in their own chicken run and my orpington chicken tractor. I've raised many chicks and never seen these exact symptoms.

have not heard from the state lab yet but no more dead chickens today! I started them on corid yesterday as a precaution because thats all I can think it could be. I bought a new brooder and new water and feeder just to make sure everything was sanitary and only two have been showing signs of lethargy but are still slowly eating and drinking! Let's hope I have done enough!!

Glad you have no more losses.
Do you have liquid or powdered Corid?

For the 2 that are showing signs of lethargy, I would direct oral drench them in addition to them drinking the mixed Corid water.

Corid is mild and it won't hurt to syringe the mixed water into them several times a day as well - a lot of times birds are not drinking enough of the mixed water to get the benefit of full treatment, so encourage them to drink if you can.

Drenching instructions are here https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

Back
Top Bottom