chicks dieing

I think at this point I'll just start over
Before you get chicks again buy some CORID to have on hand.
Get a larger brooder too and calibrate a thermometer to make SURE it doesn't get too hot in your brooder.

I’m so soory. Maybe you could look into an alternate way of brooding, in case the issue was overheating. Overheating can take chicks quickly.

Up in the Search box, type in Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder”. It’s the only way I’ll raise chicks because it totally duplicates the way a mother hen raises them. You can also look into commercial brooder plates, such a Premier, Titan, or EcoGlow. I prefer the heating pad....at least I can use it for me between batches.

If you could post a photo of your setup, that would help us tremendously to help you with maybe figuring out what happened - unless of course it was Coccidia.

What did they come up with?
My medicated chick feed wasn't working, and my entire flock was near death no matter what I did. Did the necropsy, vet gave me a prescription strength amprolium and a corid powder for coccidia, he also gave me an injectable medicine, but I forgot what it was. Vet said it was the worst case he'd ever seen, it killed 30 chickens before I could treat it. Saved the remaining 40, whom were on their deathbeds. Please note I was a real newb at this time, so I had no clue what coccidia was. I'm a little smarter now.
Symptoms were a bit of everything, so I was positive I'd lose them all at the time. Whenever I lose a chicken, if I can get it to my vet that day, I always necropsy. Working an extra 2hrs for money is worth saving my flock:)

I never use medicated feed but that's my preference.250watt bulb is ridiculous your thermometer is broken.60watt bulb would keep temp in 2 x 3 box about 90°f. 250watt would be about 115°f or higher which is way to hot.Chicks have eachother to maintain body heat really a 40watt bulb in box your size would be good enough and you don't even need heatsource after 2 weeks.

welcome-byc.gif
You'll enjoy your time here and learn lots! Hope you can figure out your problem. You've been giver some awesome advise!

Back
Top Bottom