Chicks Disappearing!

AidKD

A little bit of country is good for the soul
Premium Feather Member
Jul 6, 2020
O'Kelly family secret lair
So I've had a hen who's been sitting on her eggs. Out of the 4 thats hatched only 1 has survived do to her not being very careful and crushing them.She is a very good mama aside from that. Well, I noticed early this morning that another chick was hatching, and then later noticed the egg shell laying around as it had obviously hatched. The mama was sitting there not moving with the already hatched chick and so I assumed the just hatched chick. I decided not to move her to check as I didn't want her reajusting and stepping on the freshly hatched chick. Well, I went out just a little while ago to check on them and the baby is nowhere to be found! I checked around and under things and it's just gone! I don't think that she would have eaten it because she's always been very protective of her eggs and chicks and is just a good mama all around. This is her second time being broody. Does anyone have any ideas? This is seriously baffling to me!

Thank you! The only thing I could think of would be a mouse, but that also wouldn't make sense, since my chickens will eat mice. They're in a little dog type cage with the bars being about an inch apart. I checked all around though and couldn't find it laying anywhere.

We do have hawks, but the thing is that all of the chickens have been around each other all day and the roosters are very vigilant. We don't have any rats or snakes either. I'm gonna check up under her next. Will the baby be dead if so @Sussex19?

Back
Top Bottom