Chicks Don’t Like Their Coop?

I don’t know whether it is such a good idea to leave the coop open, aren’t you afraid of predators?
Not as much as if I were in the country. We have a walled in backyard and the gate stays shut. They are then fenced in on all sides including the top and the coop is inside the fence. It would be a different story if I didn’t have the wall and layers of neighbors with the same walls.

You are not alone. Chicken coop kits are rarely ideal it seems. The shed sounds like a good way to solve your space issue.

We have a coop from a kit as well & have had to make many modifications to make it work for us. Ultimately, our plan isn’t to revamp our older shed for a chicken coop before winter so we can insulate it for our cold winter weather. The manufacturer said 18-20 chickens. I have no idea how they came up with that number honestly unless they double or triple stacked them. The one roost was WAY too low thus they started sleeping in the nesting boxes. So I moved the lowest roost so that it was higher than the one the was the previous high roost and took the dividers out of the nesting area. Our coop had a nice covered attached run so I bought some free standing nesting boxes and made the run essentially an open air part of their coop and we added a bigger fenced run for their daytime enjoyment. During the day I leave the door between the coop and big run open so it cools it off should they choose to stay inside. However ours do get several hours of free range time by our seasonal creek area providing that the eagles aren’t hanging around.

You are not alone. Chicken coop kits are rarely ideal it seems. The shed sounds like a good way to solve your space issue.

We have a coop from a kit as well & have had to make many modifications to make it work for us. Ultimately, our plan isn’t to revamp our older shed for a chicken coop before winter so we can insulate it for our cold winter weather. The manufacturer said 18-20 chickens. I have no idea how they came up with that number honestly unless they double or triple stacked them. The one roost was WAY too low thus they started sleeping in the nesting boxes. So I moved the lowest roost so that it was higher than the one the was the previous high roost and took the dividers out of the nesting area. Our coop had a nice covered attached run so I bought some free standing nesting boxes and made the run essentially an open air part of their coop and we added a bigger fenced run for their daytime enjoyment. During the day I leave the door between the coop and big run open so it cools it off should they choose to stay inside. However ours do get several hours of free range time by our seasonal creek area providing that the eagles aren’t hanging around.
I’d love to see a picture of your setup if you’re willing.

I think we may have another solution. A friend is giving us a really nice shed that we may be able to use to add on to the coop while taking into consideration all of the details that y’all have shared with me.
That's fantastic!! Depending on size of shed, probably best to use it alone and save tiny coop for the future instead of trying to attach it.
Please post pics of shed, or start new thread, as soon as you get it!

That's fantastic!! Depending on size of shed, probably best to use it alone and save tiny coop for the future instead of trying to attach it.
Please post pics of shed, or start new thread, as soon as you get it!
I think it’s about 6x6 but I’m not sure. I was able to glance at the outside of it once at dusk. Hopefully, we will be able to pick it up this weekend.

I started with prefab coop and then bought the second one for more space. I then saved all my spending money and birthday money and bought a 16x20 9 ft tall. Went in and added nesting boxes, roosts and storage area
Put exhaust fan and 4 windows in automatic chicken door. I put a 40ftx40ft run with a top to keep hawks and things from getting in to my babies. I use my prefab for hospital coop and jail for bullies.
Good luck with your coopand hopefully you can move to country and continue your love for chickens. I find them very relaxing and so much fun to watch acting silly

Back
Top Bottom