Chicks don't know how to Chicken

PollyFern

Hatching
Sep 20, 2020
Hi all,
We have five chicks.
They are being raised inside the house and have formed an attachment to our goose (also an inside house pet)
I have noticed that the chicks have taken on the goose diet. They will not touch the chick crumble but will eat the goose crumble.
They keep trying to eat grass non stop, and seem to prefer grass over any other food...
They just don't seem to do any 'normal' chicken behaviour.
So I guess my question is:
Will they eventually do what chickens do and eat anything/everything and scratch the ground etc.
Is it o.k that they eat the goose crumble?
Is it o.k that they eat the grass more than anything else?
I worry that they are not growing enough and a bit underweight even though I am giving them the chick crumble etc (They just wont eat it)
Thank you.

I know nothing about what geese eat. I'm going to assume an adult goose does not eat what growing chicks need. If you can post the nutritional analysis from the goose food, you will get a much better answer. Also, if the chicks are eating food other than crumble, they will need chick grit. Personally, mine don't get an option other than good quality, fresh chick starter.

I agree. If the goose food weren’t available to the chicks, the chicks might be more inclined to eat their proper diet. Perhaps your goose would enjoy some chick ration if that’s all that was offered!

You didn’t mention age of the chicks. Older, this might not be such a big deal. Younger, could be more of an issue.

And they might do just fine. But you get one best chance to do the best for your babies, and this is it.

This is the goose feed they love:
IMG_20200922_094913.jpg

Someone with more knowledge can give you a better answer with that info. The percentages on the goose starter looks ok for chicks. It doesn't state calcium levels, but it's a starter so I doubt it's too high. I know there are a few differences like niacin levels, but I don't know the impact.

Thank you.
Just wanting to confirm with someone too please:
Is it OK to give chicks porridge made with milk?

Back
Top Bottom