Chicks don't like fermented feed?

Just try again with a small batch in a week. I had the same issue with week old chicks. They took to it after about two or three weeks.

x2. My chicks wouldn't touch it at first so I fed it to the hens. After watching the hens get their bonus breakfast over and over the chicks finally decided to give it a try, and then after that they were sold on it.

Keep initial batches small because you don't know when they'll finally be willing to eat it. Always easy to make big batches once they're willing to eat it.

If you're feeding medicated chick starter - it shouldn't be fermented.

The first two or three times I fed fermented feed, I added a chopped up strawberry (a treat I knew they loved) mixed into their dish so they would dig around in the feed to get the strawberry and eat a little along the way. It seemed to work out in the long run.

Aw, man! That's a bummer! My girls love that stuff. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Here's what I do, FWIW. Seems a lil different:

I use half gallon mason jars. I have 8 grown birds, so I use 2 cups of feed. I add enough water to cover and then some. The mixture of feed and water comes to about 4 1/2 cups. I close it up. It sits for 3 days (getting shaken up a few times daily, of course). On the third day, I dump it into a bucket. I think the directions say to drain it, but I don't. I add organic pellet from a local mill to it until it becomes a mash. I add a bit of feather conditioner supplement and feed it to them on plates. It does smell funny, but it's a sweet, yeasty smell. And my flock is super spoiled. I also ferment it with dried marigold (for yolk color) and occasionally add shrimp flakes just before dishing it out.

What you might do is just mix it with regular crumbles and add water so that they don't just pick out bits and they get all the nutritiony stuff (without the fermenting process). Then you can just transition to the new pellets (wet or dry) when the Scratch & Peck is gone. There are powdered probiotics you can add, if you want to try that.
Thank you, I didn't know about powdered probiotics, I will look for that!

x2. My chicks wouldn't touch it at first so I fed it to the hens. After watching the hens get their bonus breakfast over and over the chicks finally decided to give it a try, and then after that they were sold on it.

Keep initial batches small because you don't know when they'll finally be willing to eat it. Always easy to make big batches once they're willing to eat it.
Yes, I wish I would have done that, I wasted a lot of feed on the first failed attempt, definitely won't make that mistake again!

Back
Top Bottom