Chicks don't seem to be eating food because its too large

chickenluver14

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2022
So I got these chicks around a week ago, and the supplies we ordered to raise them just came (feeder, waterer, proper chick food, more heat) however, in the meantime, I have been improvising by giving them grown chicken food and crushing it up with a hammer, and they seem to be eating it fine. What I'm concerned about is that the news feed is pretty large, and the chicks seem to try to pick it up in their beaks but mostly end up failing. I thought that they probably just weren't hungry, but when we had the old feed, it looked like they were eating all the time. Now they just sleep underneath the heat lamp, so I thought it was maybe some sort of energy preservation thing, but now now I am concerned. I don't want to crush up this new food because, on the bag, it didn't say anything of the sort, so maybe it's better to let them learn how to eat bigger food. Sorry if this was all over the place, I am just really concerned rn.

INFO:
Chicken age: 7 days old
New chick feed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V8ZT8BD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Exactly are you feeding them? What brand?
If I was concerned, I would crush it up a little bit more. Probably be best to give them 50/50. That way you can observe once they start eating the larger food yet don’t have to worry about them starving because at least they’re eating the crushed up food.
I am not an expert, but that’s what I would do because in my head it sounds like a sensible and reasonable thing to do.

Do you have a smoothie cup attachment to your blender? That works pretty good to turn it into mash. You can try throwing it in the blender, but the smoothie cup works better. ;)

So I got these chicks around a week ago, and the supplies we ordered to raise them just came (feeder, waterer, proper chick food, more heat) however, in the meantime, I have been improvising by giving them grown chicken food and crushing it up with a hammer, and they seem to be eating it fine. What I'm concerned about is that the news feed is pretty large, and the chicks seem to try to pick it up in their beaks but mostly end up failing. I thought that they probably just weren't hungry, but when we had the old feed, it looked like they were eating all the time. Now they just sleep underneath the heat lamp, so I thought it was maybe some sort of energy preservation thing, but now now I am concerned. I don't want to crush up this new food because, on the bag, it didn't say anything of the sort, so maybe it's better to let them learn how to eat bigger food. Sorry if this was all over the place, I am just really concerned rn.

INFO:
Chicken age: 7 days old
New chick feed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V8ZT8BD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do not give them adult food, particularly layer feed. It can harm them.
You can moisten chick feed with water for them to make it appealing and easier. They can have some crumbled egg yolk in it too

Back
Top Bottom