Chicks don't want to use heat plate

Hi! Sorry, I know this is so late, but I just noticed this and thought I’d ask. I just put the first two chicks in the brooder, they have a heat plate but they don’t seem to be using it so far? It feels very hot/uncomfortable for me to touch but apparently this is normal? I have the legs relatively low so it touches them as recommended and I’ve tried it without touching them and they don’t seem to want to go under it. Just wondered if you experienced this on the first day :jumpy

Heat isn't something like dietary nutrition that chicks need for development. Instead, heat is something you provide so they can self regulate their body temperature. Since they lack feathers for insulation, they lose body heat according to the ambient temperature. If it's warm, they lose less body heat, cold, they will lose body heat quicker.

So you provide a heat source for them to re-heat their bodies as they lose heat. Since your ambient temps are fairly mild, the chicks need very little heat. With the heat plate, they are far more able to adjust their heat needs and wean themselves off heat far sooner than with a heat lamp which heats a much larger space.

So what's happening is your chicks are weaning themselves off heat in splendid time. Continue to provide the heat source for them, and leave it up to them when and how long they use it.
Thank you, that answer helps me right now with my chicks. I have a brooder plate on, this is their 2nd night out. It reached 55 outside last night and they chose to cuddle elsewhere. Your answer makes total sense.
Thank you,
Susan

My silkies are 3 weeks old and also started doing this this is so helpful as I came here to find the answer too they are happy out of the heat they are getting really furry an we have had a week of hot weather so explains a lot 💛

Back
Top Bottom