Chicks dropping dead

Skycop

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 12, 2014
I had two chicks die today. One was two days old and the other was 7 days old. The two day old chick was fine yesterday and this morning. When I checked on them around noon, she was dead. Now this evening, my 7 day old died and had a brown foamy substance emitting from her beak. Has anyone ever seen this? If so, any suggestions on how to prevent this would be helpful as I would not want this to happen to the other two chicks that were with them.

I had two chicks die today. One was two days old and the other was 7 days old. The two day old chick was fine yesterday and this morning. When I checked on them around noon, she was dead. Now this evening, my 7 day old died and had a brown foamy substance emitting from her beak. Has anyone ever seen this? If so, any suggestions on how to prevent this would be helpful as I would not want this to happen to the other two chicks that were with them.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Can you show us a photo of your brooder
wink.png

How are you heating or warming the brooder
jumpy.gif

What are you feeding you chicks
love.gif

Have or did you add anything to the water
ya.gif

This is all useful info for someone to give you
better advice on what is going on ...
smile.png

Inside my brooder
sickbyc.gif

Warm and comfy
highfive.gif

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:
Tried adding a picture however, my computer has been acting a bit crazy lately and as a result, the picture wouldn't load. (Also why my profile picture hasn't been uploaded). So, I'll describe it instead. It is a large plastic storage bin (3 x 2) with wooden shavings on the floor of it. I am using a red heat light which is suspended approximately 3 1/2 feet above the floor of the storage bin. For food, they have organic chick starter crumbs and nothing has been added to the water. In fact, the feed and water troughs are similar to the ones displayed in your picture. Until now, this has worked out great. I've raised 28 biddies in the past with no problems. This one has me baffled though. Any thought's you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tried adding a picture however, my computer has been acting a bit crazy lately and as a result, the picture wouldn't load. (Also why my profile picture hasn't been uploaded). So, I'll describe it instead. It is a large plastic storage bin (3 x 2) with wooden shavings on the floor of it. I am using a red heat light which is suspended approximately 3 1/2 feet above the floor of the storage bin. For food, they have organic chick starter crumbs and nothing has been added to the water. In fact, the feed and water troughs are similar to the ones displayed in your picture. Until now, this has worked out great. I've raised 28 biddies in the past with no problems. This one has me baffled though. Any thought's you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sounds like your brooder is fine ...

Feed and water fine ...

But how about feeding the last two chicks a mushed up hardboiled egg once a day for three days as all the
vitamins they need are in there and this will help build the immune system ....

Sometimes chicks just pass on but so close together that is different ....

Keep up the good work and the computer think ya I get that too ...

Last edited:
:DThanks! I will definitely do that. Just checked on them this morning and they seem fine. I'll post back in a few days to let you know how they are doing. :D

Back
Top Bottom