Chicks dropping like flies, help!

I hope your chicks health are looking up!! Keep us updated!!
fl.gif

3riverschick is right, the poultry nutri drench is a wonderful product. I gave a drop to each of my new chicks when I got them home and they perked right up. I also give it to my hens that are looking poorly it helps them too.

As for the chicks I have been mixing it in the waterer every 2-3 days, enough for them to drink it all in 24hrs. Then a plain water day, then probiotics and electrolytes. They are doing wonderful, (buff orpington chicks) so alert, active and eating so well. I wish I would've known about this last year to help my hens, but they made it through my ignorance. :lol:

The remaining ones all made it through the night! Yay! We were worried about the EE and one RIR, but this morning everyone was running around and alive. I gave them all an extra dose of nutri drops last night, and cleaned off both RIRs who were all pasty butt again (and I trimmed away their feathers to try to keep it from happening again), and everyone was energetic this morning. Going to put it in the water today to make sure they keep getting some. I'm going to call Meyer Hatchery this morning to give them the full list, and get a refund. I called when we got the dead ones in the shipment, and they said to call with the full list Friday. In order to replace them, we'd have to do another order of 15, and my husband said no (we have 11 of 19 left). He thinks he's being reasonable, but we disagree on the definition of reasonable. =) So we're going to get 9 more from our feed store, who gets them from McMurry. They're getting a new shipment Monday. Thanks for your thoughts and guidance. Yet another set of lessons in the wonderful hobby we do. That's what we get for choosing an activity with live animals.

I hope your remaining chicks stay healthy!

I've never been able to revive a chick that seemed failure to thrive/stressed during shipping. I lost my (hopefully) last one yesterday, despite giving it Nutri-Drench and one-on-one care every 30 minutes around the clock. Sometimes they just won't make it. I add Nutri-Drench to the chick water too, just for a boost.

The remaining ones all made it through the night! Yay! We were worried about the EE and one RIR, but this morning everyone was running around and alive. I gave them all an extra dose of nutri drops last night, and cleaned off both RIRs who were all pasty butt again (and I trimmed away their feathers to try to keep it from happening again), and everyone was energetic this morning. Going to put it in the water today to make sure they keep getting some. I'm going to call Meyer Hatchery this morning to give them the full list, and get a refund. I called when we got the dead ones in the shipment, and they said to call with the full list Friday. In order to replace them, we'd have to do another order of 15, and my husband said no (we have 11 of 19 left). He thinks he's being reasonable, but we disagree on the definition of reasonable. =) So we're going to get 9 more from our feed store, who gets them from McMurry. They're getting a new shipment Monday. Thanks for your thoughts and guidance. Yet another set of lessons in the wonderful hobby we do. That's what we get for choosing an activity with live animals.
Im so happy to hear your wee ones made it through last night and are lively this morning! I hope their health keeps looking up! I know they always want to ship so many at a time cause they say it healthiest but I do believe its unreasonable for them to not replace. I think I would want a money refund then for the ones they are not sending. And I have an order from McMurry that says delivery date is Monday too! lol Hope you can replace those little ones quickly!

After April 1, I believe Meyer only has a minimum of 3. So you could do your 9 that way and get your free extra for a total of 10.

So glad your little ones made it through the night and are doing better today!

I got replacement chicks today! We got them at Murdoch's Farm Supply. 4 EE, 2 buff orphingtons, 2 light Brahmas, 2 astrolorps. I know they were a little hot in this photo, I raised the light afterwards. They have also been nutri-dropped, and are separate from the other chicks. They are a few days older than ours now, so I feel better that they are over the shipping stress.

Back
Top Bottom