Chicks dying a few days after hatch

Swpreciousfew

In the Brooder
May 29, 2017
We had a power outage 2 weeks in to incubation.. I lost a lot of eggs and wasnt sure Id get anything to hatch. I ended up with 10 chicks. One died about 30 hours after hatch.. the other I just found tonight (so about 4 days after). They seemed to be healthy, no issues. Do you think the power outage/loss of temp caused issues with the guys that did hatch? So devastating!

Can your chicks eat the feed? Some chicks have troubles eating crumbles so young, it's suggested you crush it even further so it's easy to swallow.
I've only incubated once, (currently doing my second) but I don't THINK they would die because of it this long after it happened.
Did either of those chicks act funny or different before they died?
It's so sad to lose chickens, so I feel your pain :hit

They have all been eating and drinking.. and were active hours before before I found them dead.

I have never lost any of the chicks I hatched in the past so this is tough!

They have all been eating and drinking.. and were active hours before before I found them dead.

I have never lost any of the chicks I hatched in the past so this is tough!
That's so weird, I'm very sorry you lost them :( I hope the rest do okay. Hopefully someone who is more experienced in situations like this will have advice for you

I can't say as far as chicks go, but for tortoises.. hatching conditions that were not quite right can stunt growth of internal organs. Usually doesn't affect them that fast though. I hope the rest are ok <3

my first guess would be that they are getting too cold or hot....

It is best to have a large brooder with a warm end and a cold end

They are in a large pen--large enough for 20 chicks. This is my 3rd batch this year and have not had any issues with the previous chicks. Lamp is at one end, far end is cool.

We had a power outage 2 weeks in to incubation.. I lost a lot of eggs and wasnt sure Id get anything to hatch. I ended up with 10 chicks. One died about 30 hours after hatch.. the other I just found tonight (so about 4 days after). They seemed to be healthy, no issues. Do you think the power outage/loss of temp caused issues with the guys that did hatch? So devastating!
How long was the power off?

Back
Top Bottom