1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks dying!!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joneus, Nov 21, 2011.

1. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    They were fine half an hour ago and now are dropping dead. Symptoms are panting, drooped wings, chirping loudly, going limp and then passing. I've lost 3 in the last 10 mins with 2 following.

They're between 2 and 3 days old, were on play sand until they started eating it and are now on paper towels.

What happened??? Is there anything I can do to save the others!??

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Panting? What temperature are you keeping them at? Do they have the ability to move away from the heat source if they're too hot?

3. joneus

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Temp is at 95, they have plenty of room to move.

4. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    I agree sounds like there to hot you might wanna raise your heat lamp and get the temp down. If you dont have a temometer raise it away a couple feet and if there still panting even more. If they start huddling togather there to cold.

5. joneus

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Should I try to get them to drink something??

6. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Yes and add a little sugar to the water it helps them energy wise not alot maybe a teaspoon full to lets say a masonjar of water idk how big your water is.

7. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Sounds like dehydration caused by over-heating. Are you sure that your themometer is working properly? I always used 3-4 thermometers just to be sure. Dip each of their beaks in sugar water. Hopefully you can save the rest [​IMG] I'm so sorry [​IMG]

8. joneus

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Quote:That's the conclusion I came to. There was one that wasnt as bad off as the rest, so I worked on him first with an eye dropper and a 50/50 mix of water and orange juice. Within 10 mins or so he was responsive and squirming when I picked him up. I wasn't able to save the other two, but the remaining 5 are doing fine.

I suspect there is an issue with the thermometer be ause they seem perfectly comfortable with 81 degrees. I've added "Save-A-Chick" to their water and will keep them on that and wet mash for the next couple of days just to cover the bases- does that sound like a good plan?

This has been a horrifying experience, to say the least. I just hope I've got it under control now!

9. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Quote:That's the conclusion I came to. There was one that wasnt as bad off as the rest, so I worked on him first with an eye dropper and a 50/50 mix of water and orange juice. Within 10 mins or so he was responsive and squirming when I picked him up. I wasn't able to save the other two, but the remaining 5 are doing fine.

I suspect there is an issue with the thermometer be ause they seem perfectly comfortable with 81 degrees. I've added "Save-A-Chick" to their water and will keep them on that and wet mash for the next couple of days just to cover the bases- does that sound like a good plan?

This has been a horrifying experience, to say the least. I just hope I've got it under control now!

That sounds like a great plan. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. We all have to learn. In fact, that exact scenario is how I learned to keep more than one thermometer. Another supplement I would add is PolyViSol. It is a brand of baby vitamin. I have used it with great success with both chicks and adult birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by