Chicks dying . . . no idea what to do

Some specifics would give much more useful info-

What is the actual temp in the kennel? Use a thermometer, preferably several, at chick level.

Off the top of my head and many years brooding chicks, I think your temp it too high.

Do you have a thermometer in there to check the temp? Even if they can move away from the heat source - the "cool" side of the brooder may be too hot still.

I realize you brooded this way last year - but you mention they were in the garage. Your house is warmer than the garage and can cause the cool part of your brooder to still be too hot.

If they were my chicks - I would take each chick and make sure it was drinking (I use my fingernail to get a bit of water and put the fingernail of water to the chicks beak). Make sure the brooder is both warm and cool - in the correct spots.

Giving them a little yogurt while the egg boils.

So frustrating because my daughter saved for such a long time for these chicks. She's already lost four of ten pullets. At least the two who look they're next are mine I tacked on to her order. Both of her little cockerels seem fine. Little bullies, actually. They're already chasing her as she picks up each chick to feed.

She actually slept on the floor next to them last night so she could keep checking on them.

Took the temperature. It's 98 where the heat lamp is and 80 at the edges. There are four chicks under the lamp, two in a box dying and everyone else is just running about. It's a large kennel. The Doberman fits in it.

If you have anywhere to separate them and an additional heat source, you might consider separating the healthy from the sick.

I always cover the bedding with burlap and paper towels the first few days so they don't eat the bedding.

It really seems like they started dieing too quick for cocciodosis. make sure the bedding stays dry.
Move the heat lamp a little higher. In a small space with no drafts I don't worry as much about them being too cold unless they start huddling by the lamp.
I would definitely contact the hatchery immediately.
Put a little sugar, honey or agave nectar in the water for energy and to encourage drinking. Not too sweet. Make sure the water isn't too cold.

Folks who order from hatcheries have to except a % of losses it's the nature of the beast, there have only been 400,000 post that say my chicks are dying when they came in the mail. I wish you all the best for you and your chicks, but the terrible combination of hatchery & the USPS is not a good combo. Just call the hatchery and hope they can send you some more and hope they too wont die, it's all you can do.

Back
Top Bottom