Chicks Dying of 1 by 1!

I doubt it's actual poo-eating. Baby chicks pick at everything and taste it, literally everything. They don't have hands so they use their beaks like toddlers do their hands. It takes time for them to recognize food as food and litter as litter.

Quote:
True but i have actually watched one eat its own poo and every time i go to feed them the look for their poo instead! Guess they like the taste of their own poo then they do their food! So i think the sand idea will work out good as it will make it easier to scoop out dropping to keep them from tasting it constantly!

Have you treacted them for cocci? Sounds like cocci to me. Sulmet or Corid in their water work best for this!

Quote:
True but i have actually watched one eat its own poo and every time i go to feed them the look for their poo instead! Guess they like the taste of their own poo then they do their food! So i think the sand idea will work out good as it will make it easier to scoop out dropping to keep them from tasting it constantly!

I don't know if this is something found in chickens, but I do know that poop eating in cockatiels can be a sign of a vitamin or mineral deficiency. Generally one of the water soluable ones.

I seem to be quoting a lot of 'tiel things tonight
hmm.png

M@M@2four :

Have you treacted them for cocci? Sounds like cocci to me. Sulmet or Corid in their water work best for this!

X2!!! I was wondering why it took someone so long to mention this... Cocci is what I thought of immediately when I read the OP. Get some Corid asap and put it in their water.

So somehow my chicks contracted coccidiosis!
sad.png
I think it's to late to save most of them! Lost two more today!
hit.gif
bought meds that go in their water, so we will see if i can save a few! Any suggestions as to what else i can give them! They have a sand bedding with waterers lifted off the ground as well as a new feed that they are more interested in then the other but still not eating as much as they should. Hopefully that will change when the medicine kicks in! Fingers crossed that medicine does its job!

Last edited:
Quote:
What exactly is Coccidiosis, just so I know for future reference.

Coccidiosis causes considerable economic loss in the poultry industry. Chickens are susceptible to at least 11 species of coccidia. Coccidiosis -- Coccidia, Coxy, or Cocci -- is a disease of poultry caused by a protozoan-type parasite. This parasite lives and multiplies in the intestinal tract and causes tissue damage. This damage can interfere with the food digestion and nutrient absorption, as well as causing dehydration and blood loss. The tissue damage can also expose the bird to bacterial infections, like Clostridium and Salmonella. Diseases that suppress the bird’s immune system may act with coccidiosis to produce a more severe problem. For example, Marek’s Disease may interfere with the development of coccidiosis immunity and Infectious Bursal Disease may exacerbate a coccidia infection.

Back
Top Bottom