Chicks Dying of 1 by 1!

I did a search on poop eating, just in case it is a symptom. I found a couple of posts that suggested it could be due to a vitamin B deficiency. I have no idea if this is the case, or what the result of a continuing vitamin B deficiency would be, if that were the case. They suggested that it might be due to bad or old feed. Is there a production date on the food you are feeding?

Quote:
I have offered them wet mash and smaller crumbs, how would i tranfer if i wash after every house, plus the chicks are inside so I change my clothes every time before moving onto them as i am usually covered in mud by the time I come back in, so i change and wash before moving on to feeding and handling them! i ordered all of these chicks vaccinated for mareks, why would they all have it? yes it looks like all of my chicks are wasting crumbles they pick it up and then throw it out of the dish! I have offered them 2 types of feed and no change they most they have eaten was chopped boiled egg and after they ate it is when my last australorp died! how do i do a necropsy and how do i tell if its mareks when i do?

Quote:
I have offered them wet mash and smaller crumbs, how would i tranfer if i wash after every house, plus the chicks are inside so I change my clothes every time before moving onto them as i am usually covered in mud by the time I come back in, so i change and wash before moving on to feeding and handling them! i ordered all of these chicks vaccinated for mareks, why would they all have it? yes it looks like all of my chicks are wasting crumbles they pick it up and then throw it out of the dish! I have offered them 2 types of feed and no change they most they have eaten was chopped boiled egg and after they ate it is when my last australorp died! how do i do a necropsy and how do i tell if its mareks when i do?

If they are 8 weeks old, and now dying one by one, they could have been contaminated prior to the vaccine taking effect. I know it's hard to keep them uncontaminated. And there are always things you don't think of, like hair, etc. I have been quarantining mine for 4-6 weeks, I worry because this past summer I found out my flock carried Marek's because new chicks started dying , 1 every week starting at 8 weeks old. There were 10. Some wasted away but looked good while they did. Some had paralysis.

I knew which of my chickens brought it in. I hatched all my chicks at home--except for one.
sad.png
She was the only one who could have brought it in. Since I had her (2 yrs ago), I had 24 chickens, some were older, a few were under 8 months old. I had a younger one die about every 2-3 months, and I never thought of Marek's until those 10 chicks died.

I am not saying you have it. I can only pass on what I have experienced and why.
To get a necropsy, you need a fresh dead bird kept in the fridge, a styrofoam cooler, and those ice packs.
I found my lab by doing a search for "your state" animal disease laboratory. Then I called, they gave me instructions and a form to fill out. I had these things ready to go. It was cheap $30, but some do it for free.

Quote:

If they are 8 weeks old, and now dying one by one, they could have been contaminated prior to the vaccine taking effect. I know it's hard to keep them uncontaminated. And there are always things you don't think of, like hair, etc. I have been quarantining mine for 4-6 weeks, I worry because this past summer I found out my flock carried Marek's because new chicks started dying , 1 every week starting at 8 weeks old. There were 10. Some wasted away but looked good while they did. Some had paralysis.

I knew which of my chickens brought it in. I hatched all my chicks at home--except for one.
sad.png
She was the only one who could have brought it in. Since I had her (2 yrs ago), I had 24 chickens, some were older, a few were under 8 months old. I had a younger one die about every 2-3 months, and I never thought of Marek's until those 10 chicks died.

I am not saying you have it. I can only pass on what I have experienced and why.
To get a necropsy, you need a fresh dead bird kept in the fridge, a styrofoam cooler, and those ice packs.
I found my lab by doing a search for "your state" animal disease laboratory. Then I called, they gave me instructions and a form to fill out. I had these things ready to go. It was cheap $30, but some do it for free.

K thanks! I will keep those materials near by in case i lose another baby! i really hope i don't but Theirs no improvement so eventually their will be! When you chicks died did they die with their heads tucked in and their feet Straight behind them? is there something to treat it or just cull um?

After all of this, I eventually lost all but 1. 7 out of 8 gone! The one I didn't lose was the last second replacement before they shipped my chicks out the door. I call and did some major research even talked to the person who put her in the box not 5 minutes before she was out the door! She was not Vaccinated for Marek's. Yet the 7 that were vaccinated for it died of it before they 10 wks. I had the last few Chicks bodies sent to the state vet for Necropsy and they all results that came back as Marek's. Only one of the chickies had Coccidiosis, but she also died from Marek's! ( she was in the last stage of treatment before Marek's took her! She was one of the necropsied babies!)
sad.png
Hopefully my Lone survivor doesn't get it in the future!
But i will keep in mind that Marek's does not go away it only goes into remission!

Back
Top Bottom