Chicks dying or not gaining weight?!

Lucy_Dobinson

Chirping
Apr 6, 2020
Hi all, hoping someone can help me!!

I got 4 5-day old Araucana chicks, and the next day 3 1-day old silkie chicks. (From
Different breeders) A few days after them seeming fine in their new brooder, eating medicated chick starter and fresh water on a bed of untreated pine, and an electric hen (heat plate)
I woke up to one aracauna chick dead under the heat plate lying on its stomach (about 9 days old). :( the next day I woke up to another aracauna chick very lethargic. A few hours later it couldn’t even stand up, and passed shortly after. I now have a third araucana chick not doing too well. They are almost 2 weeks old, and the sick chick is still eating and drinking, but smaller than the 5 day old silkies (only weighs 28g) the final araucana chick is doing seemingly fine, and weighs a whopping 67 grams! I’m not sure what’s going on, and how to save this third aracauna chick? Poo looks normal (I think) a dark browny - only thing is it had some sort of mucous in maybe? And one more thing, one of the silkie chicks hasn’t gained any weight in the 4 days I’ve weighed her, but is eating and drinking?! Any help appreciated! Thank you.
30B9F8E2-D8A9-4E97-832C-92C81DBD0686.jpeg
D89E3D6E-8E25-45FB-90CF-FAC0A2FBD13C.jpeg
3BD9BA6B-8408-40A4-90D9-38BA54C851D5.jpeg
CA579126-20BA-4E2B-84D9-8C3014D7F248.png
FF63F86C-0991-4B9C-970A-5CBAB09F5AF7.jpeg
FDD80B3A-9325-4097-AA3F-ED82BA5D29E1.jpeg

Wishing you the best of luck. I'm sorry to hear about your baby chick. Have you heard of magic water? Possibly give that a try. From what I have read Magic water gives them a bit of energy, as you said they were lethargic.

"Simply fill your one-gallon glass jar with warm water, add the honey, apple cider vinegar, and smashed garlic and allow to steep. The best scenario would be to make your magic water the evening before your chicks will arrive. Making it ahead allows the garlic to steep in the warm water and the whole mixture to be stronger."

I would start them on a course of Corid. The treatment is 2 Tbsp. of 9.6% liquid Corid to a gallon of water. Keep the solution in the refrigerator and give the chicks fresh Corid water daily at this dosage level for 7 days. Then drop the dose to 1 Tbsp. of Corid to a gallon of water and give them a fresh solution of this daily for another 5-7 days.
The Corid water should be their only source of water. Do not put anything else in it and do not give them any other water source.
You can use it to make a mash out of their starter feed.
Keep the brooder as clean and dry as possible.

I would start them on a course of Corid. The treatment is 2 Tbsp. of 9.6% liquid Corid to a gallon of water. Keep the solution in the refrigerator and give the chicks fresh Corid water daily at this dosage level for 7 days. Then drop the dose to 1 Tbsp. of Corid to a gallon of water and give them a fresh solution of this daily for another 5-7 days.
The Corid water should be their only source of water. Do not put anything else in it and do not give them any other water source.
You can use it to make a mash out of their starter feed.
Keep the brooder as clean and dry as possible.

Thanks for this! I have bought some 12 percent Coxiprol (amprollium) I think it’s similar. They say 40ml per 20 litres for 7 days then 20 to 20 for a further 5-7 days. Have also put some mash down for them which they scoffed up. Hoping for the best! When should I hopefully see results if it is indeed Coccidiosis?

Back
Top Bottom