chicks dying weak &fluffed up

frizzlegirl

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 28, 2013
queensland, australia
hi everyone I have been breeding chickens for a while now im in qld, Australia I have chicks which are between 4 and 10 wks outside and they look sick, fluffed out feathers, hunched, pale and then die or I put them down mostly affecting the younger ones ive treated for mites etc , they get plenty of food and fresh water some are getting ACV with garlic also I am treating for cocci but no difference yet. Anyone know what could be wrong with them? Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Are you treating them for coccidiosis with amprollium or sulfa drugs? I would stop the ACV and garlic for now, especially since ACV could irritate the intestines. Are they drinking the medication? They may need to be given the medicated water in a dropper or syringe. Sometimes a more concentrated amprollium is given just a drop or two at a time in a really sluggish chick. What are you using for mites? Permethrin or cabaryl 5% (sevin dust) are very good to use for mites.

yes I have been treating for coccidiosis using amprollium the ones ive had the most problem with is my boy pen they haven't had the acv & garlic for awhile they all are drinking except the really too far gone ones which I put down as in the past no matter what I tryed once they look sick they just die anyway ive used ascobacide powder which drys them out but wasn't having much luck with it on some of my hens so used permethrine instead but I check them every night and haven't seen any mites or lice or any blood in poo either only seems to be the last 2 batches of boys I put in and more than 1/2 of them are fine fat eating etc

this is what two look like

Last edited:
They probably could use with you giving them some orally with a dropper. Maybe even mix a little bit of it stronger just to give in a dropper, and give that a drop or two at a time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom