Sick chicks, unsure of what to do

SomeChookLover

Chirping
Sep 24, 2023
Hi all, I have a clutch of four 12 day old chicks, currently being raised by a mumma hen. As of yesterday, two of them became hunched, sleepy, sickly looking and constantly seeking warmth. In a previous batch of chicks, two showed these symptoms and died soon after. The chicks are currently with me, as it is cold outside and their mum is wandering about meaning they can’t keep warm. We’re working on getting a heat lamp later today. Any advice or ideas on what might be wrong with them is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have they had access to chick crumbles? Have they been free-ranging with their mom?

Generally, hen-raised chicks don't get coccidiosis but it sort of sounds like they may have it.

What's their poop looking like?

To warm them up in the meantime, you can put very hot water in a 2-liter bottle or something like that, wrap it in a towel, and lay it in by them.

If they're not improving, you might want to pick up some Corid just in case. That won't hurt them if that's not the issue.

Try make a mash out of their crumbles, so it's like oatmeal.

I'd also give them electrolytes/probiotics in their water. Hydro-hen is the product we use but there are tons.

The chicks do have access to crumble, and are in an large shed half of it is fencing and they’re on the dirt. I’ve given them some crumble with water, and the yellow one, are a fair bit but the black chick only ate a few mouthfuls. Their poop seems normal from what I’ve seen. It doesn’t seem like coccidiosis from what I’ve read. There are a few more things I’ve noticed as well; they’re both smaller than the two healthy chicks, with the black one (who is doing worse) being quite a bit smaller. They both seem hesitant to move, though the yellow was still following the mum around and responding to her calls, and are pretty much always closing their eyes and just standing. They’re also both chirping until somethings warming them. Thanks for the advice, I’ll definitely be doing that. I’ll update you if anything happens. Thanks again!

Could be that your chicks are just having trouble with some kinds of nutrients I had something kinda like that happen with my chicks and here is a video that I used and it worked for me.

Any advice or ideas on what might be wrong with them is greatly appreciated.
I'd treat right away for coccidiosis.. the symptoms are classic and blood only presents in droppings in one or two of the 9-11 strains currently known to effect poultry.

Doesn't matter in my experience whether it's considered the norm or not.. Follow the symptoms. Each has their own immune system.

Their guts hurt (and their cold) that's why their upset..

Hope they recover quickly! :fl

Back
Top Bottom