Chicks Dying

Those "pellets" are great for wet coops too. Careful using the pellets, if they kick some up into the water, it will absorb the water. I tried using for brooder but I smell a "scent" but that was few years ago. TSC pine shaving come in two "flavors" fine & flakes, I find the find is "dustier" than the flakes.
We use a 5-gallon bucket with nipples, so no water exposed. In the brooder, we have a smaller version made out of a Tupperware container. In the coop, we do no maintenance on the pellets but in the brooder, I use a stick and stir them.

Attachments

• Brooder 2.jpg
    Brooder 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 6
Love those Horizontal Water Nipples ... I use them too.
The pellets I use for in the Chicken House which is on the ground/dirt. When it rains for day, and I do mean days the date wick up & it used to puddle and soak. Those pellets have saved the day for years, lately I haven't had to use even when it pours. Not sure what changed. But always keep a bag on hand

We use a 5-gallon bucket with nipples, so no water exposed. In the brooder, we have a smaller version made out of a Tupperware container. In the coop, we do no maintenance on the pellets but in the brooder, I use a stick and stir them.
So I tried to switch to those nipples but I have one chick that is not growing while the others are 2 times the size so she wasn't able to get water I don't think. So I switched to the nipple that hangs down but that is making a mess! I bought the self filling cup from rent a coop and that should be here tomorrow so hoping that works better.

Love those Horizontal Water Nipples ... I use them too.
The pellets I use for in the Chicken House which is on the ground/dirt. When it rains for day, and I do mean days the date wick up & it used to puddle and soak. Those pellets have saved the day for years, lately I haven't had to use even when it pours. Not sure what changed. But always keep a bag on hand
I may buy those to have on hand! I'm in southeastern NC and when it rains it pours here so that may help to keep puddles out of the run!

So I tried to switch to those nipples but I have one chick that is not growing while the others are 2 times the size so she wasn't able to get water I don't think. So I switched to the nipple that hangs down but that is making a mess! I bought the self filling cup from rent a coop and that should be here tomorrow so hoping that works better.
Yes, those hanging bottles a few people were raving about as day-old chicks were catching on to those; however, then comes the wet mess, so it's not helping keeping the coop/brooder dry, which is part of their purpose.

Ours took two weeks for the horizontal ones, mainly, I think because they're too little to push that metal rod to get water. Then I sit the container on a 2x4 to get it "beak level." I showed them, then removed other water sources, so they went back to it and pecked until they figured it out.

So happy to hear no more losses! You must be doing something right. That's great.:)
I'm sitting here now with the body of my favorite chick Cocoa by my side. My jealous little dog just killed her. I'm going to give my dog away. She's proven that she CANNOT be trusted around the chickens. I don't want any more pain like this. I know it's going to come, but at least it won't be like this! God help us!

Back
Top Bottom