chicks dying

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by turnerstar31, Aug 30, 2014.

1. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    So I got my order of 30 chicks from ideal poultry. The package came and only 2 was doa. I put the chicks in their habitat and made sure to dip their beaks. I found out that one had deformed legs. I called ideal and they gave me credit for those 3. However I have lost another 5 and there are still a few more that are not doing so well. I have raised many chicks. I havent even had them a day and I have lost almost 10. I'm not sure if I should call ideal on monday and say something or just take a loss. I have bought chicks before from them and have never had this much of an issue. I have maybe only lost a couple but not 1/3 of my order.

2. CharterChick

CharterChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    I would say something for sure! That is a lot of chicks! I hope the rest are ok! [​IMG]

3. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Thanks just not sure why I am losing so many. Like I said I have raised plenty of them before and haven't had to many issues before.

4. vtspilotcar

vtspilotcar Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    maybe too long in shipping?

5. WildMustangs

WildMustangs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2014
    I had placed an order from Ideal and lost most of them. They tried to come up with reason that they died, mine were $10. Each. I just consider the source. Only the strong survive.
    Also I noticed they claimed they had shipped at 5am something in the morning but the chicks were not actually trackable /checked in for shipping till almost 5:30 pm and did not move til the next morning from what I saw. They also only vaccinate for one thing. I wanted more vaccines. I was disapointed with my thirty also, odd you ordered 30. It has been about a month now and only two alive. Guess I will not have Dominiques ro add to my other two types.

6. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Late august is a really tough time to ship anything alive - it doesn't take long in a hot truck to do a lot of damage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by