Chicks eating pine shavings in brooder---ok?

funkdog

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 12, 2011
New fuzz butts are doing fine exploring their fancy new cardboard chicken condo but have taken to eating the pine shavings that line their box. They have plenty of Start n Grow which they are eating but seem to snack on the shavings--is this okay?? Thanks!!

how old are they, if under 7 days they should be on paper towl so they don't eat shavings. if they eat to many the shavings don't pass and your birds will be stunted or/and even die. they need to figure out whats good to

Egads, thank you. Will take them out immediately! Sad, as they were purchased from a small and very reputable farm store and they are the ones that told me to put down pine shavings for them!! Thank you so much for your help.
sad.png

I'm sorry, but I disagree. My chicks are on shavings from day one without any trouble. Chicks will explore things with their mouths, same as human babies do.

If they definitely know where their food is, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're going to worry anyhow, offer them some chick grit to digest any that they manage to swallow.

Quote:
x2. I have always kept my chicks on pine shavings from the start, I've never done paper towels, I just watch them at first to make sure everybody knew where the feed was. Are you sure they are eating the shavings or are they picking up spilled crumbles? Mine would dig a ridiculous amount of crumbles out of the feeders and then had a fine time scratching thru the shavings looking for and eating it.

Quote:
x2. I have always kept my chicks on pine shavings from the start, I've never done paper towels, I just watch them at first to make sure everybody knew where the feed was. Are you sure they are eating the shavings or are they picking up spilled crumbles? Mine would dig a ridiculous amount of crumbles out of the feeders and then had a fine time scratching thru the shavings looking for and eating it.

do you want to take a chance that they are eating lost feed or shavings that will kill them. Some birds do eat shavings don't grow because there is no room in the crop, adding grit doesn't help, and they die or don't grow well. It doesn't happen alot but it dose happen, plus if you have chick die young do you check the crop to see if they have eaten shavings and that what killed them.

why take a chance

Last edited:
Quote:

do you want to take a chance that they are eating lost feed or shavings that will kill them. Some birds do eat shavings don't grow because there is no room in the crop, adding grit doesn't help, and they die or don't grow well. It doesn't happen alot but it dose happen, plus if you have chick die, young do you check the crop to see if they have eaten shavings and that what killed them.

why take a chance

If a broody raises chicks, do you put the mama and the babies on paper towels? My broody's chicks have been in the coop with the other birds since day one and they are growing just fine. When you go to the feed store during chick days, do they have the chicks on paper towels? I've yet to lose a brooder raised chick to anything but shipping stress (one chick).

I'm sorry, I don't mean to argue with you but I think sometimes raising chicks is made out to be a whole lot more complicated than it needs to be.

Quote:
do you want to take a chance that they are eating lost feed or shavings that will kill them. Some birds do eat shavings don't grow because there is no room in the crop, adding grit doesn't help, and they die or don't grow well. It doesn't happen alot but it dose happen, plus if you have chick die, young do you check the crop to see if they have eaten shavings and that what killed them.

why take a chance

If a broody raises chicks, do you put the mama and the babies on paper towels? My broody's chicks have been in the coop with the other birds since day one and they are growing just fine. When you go to the feed store during chick days, do they have the chicks on paper towels? I've yet to lose a brooder raised chick to anything but shipping stress (one chick).

I'm sorry, I don't mean to argue with you but I think sometimes raising chicks is made out to be a whole lot more complicated than it needs to be.

if abroody raises chick she teaches them what to do by her song, watch a broody once, its very interesting. Do you teach you chicks what to do like a broody? some die as teens or adults, its been proven

yes, my TCS uses towling

Last edited:
Quote:
I watch my broody with her chicks near constantly, as often as I can during the day. So far it's been my absolute favorite part of raising chickens. In the absence of a broody, yes I do act as the surrogate mama. The benefits of living on an isolated farm - being able to run around acting like a chicken, teaching my biddies, without someone calling the men in white jackets to come get me.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom