Chicks eating poo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ec_Prokta, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    My week old chicks are eating their poop! The poop is covered in feed, but they tear the poop apart soo... help please. Thanks!

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Hi! If you could post a pic of your brooder, that would help us make suggestions... What are you using for bedding? What are you using for a feeder? Why is the poop covered in feed? Chickens are pretty sure everything is food- so they try everything just to be sure. One of my hens just tried my index finger, as a matter of fact! If they try a little poop, it won't kill them. It sounds like no big deal- maybe just scoop out the poop a little more often, so there is less of it around. Enjoy them!

3. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Overrun with Buckeyes

May 27, 2008
    Minster, Ohio
    My Coop
    Have you ever tasted chicken poop, it's darned good!!! [​IMG]

Just keep it as clean as you can, they'll figure out what is food and what isn't. They want to live more than you want them to live, God gave them the ability to survive.

4. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    I am laughing right now because I had the same question 5 weeks ago with my chicks! I run a tight ship chicken wise. I provided them with all this lovely food and some treats and cleaned their cage regularly...guess what I found out. Some dear BYC member told me that they will eat their poop because it is how they get their digestive system going as far as bacteria etc. So I guess if they don't just eat poop they are fine. Gross as it sounds!! I still try to keep them clean but they are livestock after all![​IMG] Hope this was helpful!

5. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    my dogs like to say "aint no tastier poo than chickie poo" [​IMG]

6. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Okay, Thanks!

7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009