Chicks eating wood chips

I’m so sorry. Use an old bath towel for now and pick up some puppy pads next time you’re at the store.

I’ve never heard of young chicks dying from eating pine chips. Is the wood treated with chemicals? You sure the brooder is the right temperature — warm enough with cool areas to retreat to? Are you using a Teflon coated bulb?

NutriDrench can help struggling chicks. Best to carefully give one drop in beak in an emergency, otherwise add it to clean water.

If it’s important to you to know the cause of death, you could send the chick(s) for necropsy. Lots of states and ag colleges have labs. My vet recommended this lab (I’m in WA); it has instructions for caring for the body. Essentially, wash with soapy water and refrigerate before shipping.

I had a chick die a few weeks ago for what seemed like no reason. It was heartbreaking. Some chicks pull through seemingly dire circumstances, and some just don’t make it. Whatever happens, you’ve done your best and given the chicks love during their time here, and they’ve brightened your life too.
My broader has an electric broader for them to sleep under and I have had the lamp on for first 2 days 24 hours.

It was 99° but they have places to get out of heat if they get too warm.
I am also in WA.state and it was hot today so I shut it off.

They seemed fine and were running around and acting normally until I put the wood chips in. I got them at tractor supply.

I froze some coconut oil mixed with a little sugar and the one who is not doing well at all did eat some and drank water right afterwards.
I think 🙏 he may be doing a little better. He is walking around a little bit without falling over.

Another one looked like maybe was trying to swallow. It kept opening its mouth and putting its head up.

But walking around fine.

Maybe they will be OK.

I lost one and that's only thing that was different. He was dead when I came In house. That's when I noticed they were all eating the wood. And not just a little bit. They were eating it instead of the food.

I feel awful 😢

I have 4 day old chick's in broader.
I just put pine chips Iin today.

I went outside to garden for 3 or 4 hours and ame in and they were eating them.

One died , another is dying. Can't stand up and at least half not looking good.

I didn't know 😢 😭
My last batch didn't do this. Can I do anything to save the reat?
I’m not an expert - so I am hoping others chime in.

As they are so young, it could also be failure to thrive? Do you have any nutri drench? They might be lacking some nutrients.

Have they been eating and drinking? If not try honey or molasses. I know that can give them a little kick start.

How are their poos? Anything off?

How is the heat? Lamp or brooder plate?

I’m hoping they all pull through for you ❤️

Well, I mixed up a mash of yogurt, feed and warm water as recommended. They'll gladly walk in it but won't eat it. They are far too busy scratching in the wood chips and I swear it looks as if that's what they are eating.............the finest portions of the wood chips. Here's a picture of them congregated, scratching and eating chips like crazy. I think if I ate wood chips I'd get pasty butt too!!!!!

View attachment 3462254
Ours don't seem to be "Eating" the wood chips just moving them into the water, food and other places as desired. Of course I get the "wet wood chip" removal chore! I am very proud of my thermostat device from Amazon that keeps the temperature just where they like it.

Is it possible they got too cold without the lamp? They need over 90 degrees when less than a week old — with places to escape heat at 10-15 degrees cooler, of course. More here.

If you had appropriate temperature, no Teflon, and untreated wood shavings… the issue may have been some sort of crop impaction from wood chips. Can you share what kind of wood chips you’re using? Others may know more about this.

So sorry this has happened. It sounds like you’re doing all you can do.

My broader has an electric broader for them to sleep under and I have had the lamp on for first 2 days 24 hours.

It was 99° but they have places to get out of heat if they get too warm.
I am also in WA.state and it was hot today so I shut it off.

They seemed fine and were running around and acting normally until I put the wood chips in. I got them at tractor supply.

I froze some coconut oil mixed with a little sugar and the one who is not doing well at all did eat some and drank water right afterwards.
I think 🙏 he may be doing a little better. He is walking around a little bit without falling over.

Another one looked like maybe was trying to swallow. It kept opening its mouth and putting its head up.

But walking around fine.

Maybe they will be OK.

I lost one and that's only thing that was different. He was dead when I came In house. That's when I noticed they were all eating the wood. And not just a little bit. They were eating it instead of the food.

I feel awful 😢
Why 2 heat sources? How cool is the cooler area they have access to? 99F is quite warm so they definitely could use somewhere to cool off.

Do you know what type of wood chips you got? A link to the exact product or a photo of the bag would help.

Why the coconut oil? I would pick up Poultry Nutri-Drench and add it to the water for all the chicks.

Do they have access to grit? All my chicks eat dirt, wood fragments, etc. Even if they're eating some wood chips it shouldn't immediately kill them like you described.

Ours don't seem to be "Eating" the wood chips just moving them into the water, food and other places as desired. Of course I get the "wet wood chip" removal chore! I am very proud of my thermostat device from Amazon that keeps the temperature just where they like it.
What is the joy of moving wood chips into the water? It is a constant attraction for our 2 week old chicks....EVERY DAY...several times a day!!! I think they are trying to make wine!

Back
Top Bottom